Giuseppe Sgroi Death records Help Please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Giuseppe Sgroi Death records Help Please

Post by stokkster1 »

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,352218601

I am trying to see what this says I know he died either Nov 8 1885 or Nov 19 1885, I see the date Dec 23 1882 is this his birth? I also the names Giuseppe Sgroi age 30 and Giovanno age 48 are these his sons? also at the bottom in what looks like Geatono Marino.

Thank you for all your help
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppe Sgroi Death records Help Please

Post by Tessa78 »

Death of a child of 1 year, 9 months...

On 19 November 1885, the official in S. Giuseppe Iato transcribed into the register a copy of the death of Giuseppe Sgroi that he received from the civil office in the City of Palermo...
Extract from the register of deaths of 1885-
Ufficio 1 - Parte I - Volume 3
Record #1472
Dated 8 September 1885 at 10 AM at the town office before the official (who was delegated 23 December 1882), appeared...
Giuseppe Sgroi, age 30, peasant farmer; and Giovanni Tarantino, 48, porter, resding in Palermo, to declare that at 6 PM yesterday (18th) at the house at Cortile Anello #14, died Giuseppe Sgroi, age 1 year and 9 months, a resident of Palermo, born in S. Giuseppe Iato to Giuseppe, peasant farmer, and to Antonina Lo Cicero, both residents of Palermo.
Witnesses to the record: Gaetano Marino, 70, cook; and Paolo Piraino(?), 38, porter, bth residing in this town.

The relationship of the declarants and the witnesses to the deceased is not given.
The Giuseppe Sgroi who declared the death was a porter, and the Giuseppe Sgroi who was the father of the deceased was a peasant farmer...

T.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Yesterday I posted this small correction to Tessa's translation but then it, along with her reply, vanished, so I'm posting it again in case the OP missed it.

The date of death was actually the 7th of Sep, not the 18th (of either month), because the word "yesterday" referred to the date that the death was reported in Palermo.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Correct! :-D

T.