Birth Record Town Help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sandyman720
Rookie
Rookie

Birth Record Town Help

Post by sandyman720 »

Hello All-

I was hoping you could help me transcribe and translate the right hand side of this document. This is a birth extract from comune I cannot quite make out. Maybe Melsi? I do know that this woman married a man in Oppido Lucano, Potenza, Basilicata so maybe it is near there?

Your help would be much appreciated!!!
Attachments
4-Egidio & Anna Maria Marriage- record-image_TH-1961-33367-616-15.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record Town Help

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi

The town is Melfi. Here is the actual birth record:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Birth No 314: Anna Maria Gaetana Locuratolo
Recorded on 26 December 1828, 5 pm, Melfi
Appearing was (Don) Giuseppe Antonio Locuratolo, son of Gaetano, 32yo, agrimensore (land surveyor), living in Melfi, to present a baby girl, born to his wife (Donna) Peppa Pierri, 26, living in Melfi, Strada Santa Maria, and to the declarant, on 24 December 1828,

The righthand side gives the baptism details. Anna Maria Gaetana Locuratolo was baptised on 26 December 1828.
Angela :)
sandyman720
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sandyman720 »

Thank you Angela!

Just so I know.....back in the mid 1800's how was it that someone from Melfi could marry in a town 50+km away? From my research it seemed that almost all married in the same town or the next town over which might only be a couple of km by foot.

Thanks!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

sandyman720 wrote:Thank you Angela!

Just so I know.....back in the mid 1800's how was it that someone from Melfi could marry in a town 50+km away? From my research it seemed that almost all married in the same town or the next town over which might only be a couple of km by foot.

Thanks!
You are very welcome.

Good question, but I'm not sure that I have the answer. Like you, most of my ancestors also married within the same town, or neighbouring towns. I do however have some that have married 30 km+ away. Often men, young and old, left their home town to find work, which could be one reason and possibly the most common?

I'm toying with the idea that class distinction may also have had something to do with this question of wedlock in a distant town. Maybe if a young man or woman was from a "noble" family, and there wasn't anyone in the same "class" available in the town, then "possibly" a marriage was "arranged" elsewhere. Just my thoughts here.

Hopefully, someone who has already researched this might be able to confirm or negate my thoughts and expand on this subject.
Angela :)