Angela Sgroi Death 1868 Help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Angela Sgroi Death 1868 Help

Post by stokkster1 »

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353331102

I can't figure out the day she died, also how old she was and how old her parents were.

Thanks Debbie
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Angela Sgroi Death 1868 Help

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

stokkster1 wrote:https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353331102

I can't figure out the day she died, also how old she was and how old her parents were.

Thanks Debbie
She died on 14 September 1868 at 9 am, so in this case the same day as recorded. She was a 2yo, daughter of Giuseppe Sgroi, 40yo, and Rosalia Montedora. So there were two children born to this couple, both given the name Angela, who died. Very sad.
Angela :)
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Post by stokkster1 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:
stokkster1 wrote:https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353331102

Thanks Debbie
She died on 14 September 1868 at 9 am, so in this case the same day as recorded. She was a 2yo, daughter of Giuseppe Sgroi, 40yo, and Rosalia Montedora. So there were two children born to this couple, both given the name Angela, who died. Very sad.
Yes very sad indeed, looks like my family had it bad in Italy so many of the things I find end in death. I wonder if there was something really bad happening in San Giuseppe at this time. This Angela died in 1868 the other one died in 1870. so sad.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

stokkster1 wrote: Yes very sad indeed, looks like my family had it bad in Italy so many of the things I find end in death. I wonder if there was something really bad happening in San Giuseppe at this time. This Angela died in 1868 the other one died in 1870. so sad.
The mortality rate was very high back then. I remember being shocked by this when I first started researching my own records. These poor people would lose children after children - heartbreaking. I guess you could research, when you have time, to ascertain if there was an epidemic occuring, during this time in Sicily, or even in just your town. Unfortunately the records, don't indicate how people died, only in rear cases.

carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Having a succession of children die was pretty normal. Moreover, if there were an epidemic it wouldn't last for years, so wouldn't explain the death of more than 1 child. There were big worldwide flu pandemics around 1832-33 and 1917-18 (the "Spanish flu"). The 1832 one actually originated in Sicily and killed about 5% of the population of one town I was studying. I seem to recall that there was a smaller epidemic in the 1870s, but I'm not sure.

When going through death records, when I first saw the spike in 1917 I thought it was due to World War I, but strangely as many women as men died. Then I realized that it was due to the Spanish flu. The impact was much greater in Sicily than that of the war.

I came across a "cause of death" record among allegati recently, but it's a pretty rare kind of document.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I've sometimes seen the cause of death noted in death records that appear in the supplementary section (Part II of a respective year), especially when the death has occurred in another country.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

When an Italian died while in the US and the record was entered in Part II in an Italian town's death records, they translated the whole US death certificate, and then you see the cause of death (translated into Italian) there, too.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

carubia wrote:When an Italian died while in the US and the record was entered in Part II in an Italian town's death records, they translated the whole US death certificate, and then you see the cause of death (translated into Italian) there, too.
This is possibly also the case with some South American countries? I remember finding a death record in the Supplementary Section a while back for my greatgrandfather's brother, a Doctor, who died in Venezuela. This was an exact copy of the original Death Record with the cause of death included. This was a fantastic find because it has led me to some very interesting research about this man .... which I need to continue.