Death translation for Maria Alligato

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Death translation for Maria Alligato

Post by scraig32 »

Hello- I need help filling in some holes in my translation. Thank you so much.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

It is #58 for Maria Alligato

at 5pm on May 6, 1923 at # ? on Saint Vito Street, died Maria Alligato, age 65 (or 75?), occupation ? , resident and born in Santa Ninfa, unknown mother, unknown father

what does "nubile" mean after unknown father?

I only know a little bit of information about this side of my family from Santa Ninfa. The family story goes that Baron Francesco Di Stefano married Hippolita Perez from Spain and they had several children. They lived in Il Castello in Santa Ninfa. One of their sons was Michele Di Stefano. Michele fell in love with a maid at the castle, Marietta Allegato. They had four children out of wed lock. The children were Francesco ,Giuseppina , Pietro, and Giuseppe . Under the church cannons of the time, such children could not bear the surname of the father. Francesco and Giuseppina, the first 2 children, lived with their parents in Il Castello and each bore the mother’s surname Allegato. The four children were born during the years 1870-1877. I understand that Baron Michele and Marietta were eventually married in a civil ceremony when they were in their fifties.

So I am wondering if the document above for Maria Alligato is our Marietta Allegato or if it is one of her children. The unknown father and mother part lead me to believe that she is somehow part of this out of wedlock situation. I have searched through the only online death documents available at this time. This is the only Alligato death in Santa Ninfa from 1911-1928. Any thoughts??
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Re: Death translation for Maria Alligato

Post by scraig32 »

Pietro was suckled and went to live with and was adopted by a local childless couple, Vincent and Angelina Giordano, and was officially named Pietro Giordano. Giuseppe was adopted by another childless couple whose surname was Galante. T
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

scraig32 wrote:Hello- I need help filling in some holes in my translation. Thank you so much.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

It is #58 for Maria Alligato

at 5pm on May 6, 1923 at 5 am on Saint Vito Street, died Maria Alligato, 75, occupation housewife , resident and born in Santa Ninfa, unknown mother, unknown father

what does "nubile" mean after unknown father? never married

So I am wondering if the document above for Maria Alligato is our Marietta Allegato or if it is one of her children. The unknown father and mother part lead me to believe that she is somehow part of this out of wedlock situation. I have searched through the only online death documents available at this time. This is the only Alligato death in Santa Ninfa from 1911-1928. Any thoughts??
According to her death act, she was born in about 1848; so, she might be the mother of children born in the 70's; no reason to say she might not have been a foundling
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

Thank you so much! It's interesting that her occupation is listed as housewife and yet she never married. That could be my Marietta because she lived with Michele DiStefano as his wife but they did not marry in the church bc he was noble and she was a maid. Very interesting stuff!
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Well, I'm not English mother tongue, so my translation was not appropriate...the italian word is "casalinga", and it can be referred to married as well unmarried women. I guess I should have said "homemaker"...
Also see this thread:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... ia#p233706

scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

thank you again! that was a very informative thread. Since your help translating this document I have since found other documentation that proves that this Maria is indeed my ancestor. Thank you for helping along the way!! Suzanne
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

You're very welcome, Suzanne! :-)