Province Question

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
ElizNew

Province Question

Post by ElizNew »

I'm working with a Brooklyn, NY church marriage document from 1902
churchmarriage.jpg
churchmarriage.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 5885 times
. The groom's birthplace is "Pulzano, province of Lecce". Now, I believe Pulzano is known as Pulsano. What stumps me is the province. From everything I've read, Pulsano is in the province of Taranto, not Lecce.

Was it possible that Pulsano was a part of Lecce at that time? I've looked for old maps and could find nothing definitive.

My end objective is to write Italy for family information. Would it be best to write Pulsano in Taranto?

Attached is part of the document.

Thanks for any insight.

Elizabeth
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Province Question

Post by PippoM »

From Wikipedia:
Prima che, nel 1860, circondari e distretti fossero aboliti, Pulsano faceva parte del circondario di San Giorgio all'interno del distretto di Taranto nella Provincia di Terra d'Otranto (poi Provincia di Lecce). Nel 1923 Pulsano entrò a far parte dell'istituenda Provincia dello Jonio (dal 1951 provincia di Taranto).
Pulsano was a part of the province of Terra d'Otranto (that included Taranto, too), that later became province of Lecce. In 1923 the new province of Taranto was established, and Pulsano became a part of it.
So, now you have to write to Pulsano, province of Taranto.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
ElizNew

Post by ElizNew »

Thanks, Pippo, for educating me! So, Pulsano was indeed part of the Province of Lecce in the distant past. I looked for this before, including wikipedia, and there was no mention. I see you got this from the Italian wikipedia.

With your valuable information I will write a letter this week requesting family data.

Elizabeth
magluck

Post by magluck »

hi
i'm from martina franca in the province of taranto but in the 19th century it was in the province of Terra d'Otranto (that is lecce) so it is possible that it was the same for pulsano.
pulsano is near the beautiful beaches of jonio sea, so in summer we often go through pulsano to reach the beach!

bye
maria
p.s. sorry for my bad english