Ferruzzano

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
MichaelMaranda

Ferruzzano

Post by MichaelMaranda »

Ferruzzano is in Reggio Calabria.

Giovanni Marando came from Ferruzzano, arriving in NY in 1903. I am told he had four sisters and was the only son. I have not traced any of his sisters. We believe two of their names are Agata and Columba. It looks like Agata married Demitri Cardile and followed him to the states with their son Salvatore. I have not been able to trace them further.

Giovanni's parents were Domenico Marando and Pasqualina Vigliante.

I'm interested in connecting with anyone researching Feruzzano or otherwise knowledgable on Ferruzzano.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Ferruzzano

Post by Tessa78 »

MichaelMaranda wrote:Ferruzzano is in Reggio Calabria.

Giovanni Marando came from Ferruzzano, arriving in NY in 1903. I am told he had four sisters and was the only son. I have not traced any of his sisters. We believe two of their names are Agata and Columba. It looks like Agata married Demitri Cardile and followed him to the states with their son Salvatore. I have not been able to trace them further.

Giovanni's parents were Domenico Marando and Pasqualina Vigliante.

I'm interested in connecting with anyone researching Feruzzano or otherwise knowledgable on Ferruzzano.
Looking at two arrival manifests for Demetrio Cardile (1907 and 1910)...
1907... destination - Pasquale ??? in Washington, NJ
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0234344864&
1910 .. leaving wife Agata in Ferruzzano - destination: cousin Giuseppe Italiano in Pittford, NY
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 170053.TIF

You might want to research the cousin... maybe a lead to where Demetrio and Agata settled...

T.
MichaelMaranda

Post by MichaelMaranda »

Thank you Tessa, that looks like a very solid lead. I've been stuck with this one for a long time!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

MichaelMaranda wrote:Thank you Tessa, that looks like a very solid lead. I've been stuck with this one for a long time!
Here is the 1910 US Census for Joseph Italiano in Pittsford NY
Looks like these were Railroad workers... may be where Demetrio was headed (his arrival was after the census was taken)

Joseph Italiano, "United States Census, 1910"
Name: Joseph Italiano
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1910
Event Place: Pittsford, Monroe, New York, United States
District: 36
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Birth Year (Estimated): 1878
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1903
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Sheet Number and Letter: 20B
Household ID: 286
Line Number:
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number: M1283
GS Film number: 1375001
Digital Folder Number: 004449898
Image Number: 01214
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Joseph Italiano M 32 Italy
Wife Maria T Italiano F 22 Italy
Daughter Frances Italiano F 6 Italy
Son John Italiano M 2 Italy
Son Antonio Italiano M 0 New York
Brother Antonio Italiano M 40 Italy
Brother-in-law Stephen Teresco M 22 Italy
Boarder Andrew Myron M 21 Italy
Boarder Eugene Vigliante M 22 Italy
Boarder Raphelo Vigliante M 20 Italy
Boarder Peter Michi M 30 Italy
Boarder Patrick Figlioti M 18 Italy
Boarder Dominick Trapasso M 26 Italy
Boarder Antonio Woods M 27 Italy

Click the image to enlarge and again to Magnify'

T.
MichaelMaranda

Post by MichaelMaranda »

Thank you again! I could not quite make out the surname Italiano in the passenger list.

What the passenger list and the census record with the many boarders reinforce for me is how they traveled and settled together --- the names of the Ferruzzanoti are largely recognizable - Vigliante - for example both on the passenger list and at the boarding house are likely cousins of my great grandfather.

I'm still at a loss as to best strategies to determine where they wound up next.

My list of likely places for Demetrio/Agatha & Salvatore included Rochester, NY, NYC, and Pennsylvania. So it is good to find Demetrio so close to Rochester (Pittsford is pretty much adjacent). I can't help feeling the spelling of the name may have changed upon or after their arrival. My family surname shifted from Marando to Maranda (though an intermediate generation largely denied that possibility!).

I spent a good part of the night trying to track down as many public ancestry trees with people born in Ferruzzano, in hopes of piecing something together. I accumulated about 300 people so far, including some descendants. The attributions of all may not be accurate, but it helped me fill out two or three connections I was missing in my tree. (I still have to process and confirm some of those). But as of yet have not found the Cardile family. I note that in the 1907 he seems to have gone to Washington, DC. (and this is confirmed in the 1910 manifest).

Thank you Again!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

MichaelMaranda wrote:Thank you again! I could not quite make out the surname Italiano in the passenger list.

What the passenger list and the census record with the many boarders reinforce for me is how they traveled and settled together --- the names of the Ferruzzanoti are largely recognizable - Vigliante - for example both on the passenger list and at the boarding house are likely cousins of my great grandfather.

I'm still at a loss as to best strategies to determine where they wound up next.

My list of likely places for Demetrio/Agatha & Salvatore included Rochester, NY
, NYC, and Pennsylvania. So it is good to find Demetrio so close to Rochester (Pittsford is pretty much adjacent). I can't help feeling the spelling of the name may have changed upon or after their arrival. My family surname shifted from Marando to Maranda (though an intermediate generation largely denied that possibility!).

I spent a good part of the night trying to track down as many public ancestry trees with people born in Ferruzzano, in hopes of piecing something together. I accumulated about 300 people so far, including some descendants. The attributions of all may not be accurate, but it helped me fill out two or three connections I was missing in my tree. (I still have to process and confirm some of those). But as of yet have not found the Cardile family. I note that in the 1907 he seems to have gone to Washington, DC. (and this is confirmed in the 1910 manifest).

Thank you Again!
Have you seen this WWI Registration Card (1918)

Demetrio Cardillo - living in Rochester, NY
Though there are some differences on the facts here, I still believe this is your Demetrio.
Wife listed as "Edna" could be what a clerk heard when he said Agata..
Date of 1879 for birthdate is not so far off that we can throw it out...
What I believe clinched it for me was the physical description... medium height and blue eyes. - since his arrival manifest indicates that his eye color is "sky", and his height is 5' 5"

So here is a Possible record for your Demetrio. You might want to search the address in the 1920 US Census..

Also found a reference to a Demetri Cardelli in the Rochester Daily Record. It appears to be a list of Civil Court Summary Proceedings - and the case was found in his favor for $60. The newspaper is from MAY 3, 1951
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspaper% ... .html&.pdf

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Also found this 1940 US Census in Rochester.
Could this be your Demetri and Agata?
Grossly misspelled :shock:

1940 United States Federal Census about Diertre Cardello
Name: Diertre Cardello
Respondent: Yes
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Race: White
Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Home in 1940: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Map of Home in 1940: View Map
Street: North Street
House Number: 381
Farm: No
Inferred Residence in 1935: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Residence in 1935: Same Place
Resident on farm in 1935: No
Citizenship: Alien
Sheet Number: 5A
Number of Household in Order of Visitation: 104
House Owned or Rented: Rented
Value of Home or Monthly Rental if Rented: 21
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: Elementary school, 4th grade
Duration of Unemployment: 65
Class of Worker: Wage or salary worker in private work
Weeks Worked in 1939: 0
Income: 0
Income Other Sources: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Diertre Cardello 60
Agnes Cardello 58

Dimtri Cardello 20
Sunday Cardello 18
Theresa Cardello 16
Mary Cardello 14

Bottom of page

T.
MichaelMaranda

Post by MichaelMaranda »

Wow. It will take me some time to study these closely - but this is impressive. Thank you for this!

It has me wondering about the different names people go by -- Agnes for Agata, and the name Catuzza which comes up on the other thread. I had only seen Catuzza as a surname previously, perhaps someone knows what it means?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

MichaelMaranda wrote:Wow. It will take me some time to study these closely - but this is impressive. Thank you for this!

It has me wondering about the different names people go by -- Agnes for Agata, and the name Catuzza which comes up on the other thread. I had only seen Catuzza as a surname previously, perhaps someone knows what it means?
Many times it is a misunderstanding of the pronunciation of the name. A clerk will hear it ( spoken with an Italian accent) and try to write it phonetically or write a name they are familiar with. Since many immigrants were illiterate, they did not spell out names for clerks, census takers, etc.
For example, I was helping someone look for the maiden name of their grandfather's mother... On his Social Security Application it was written as "Chiatz" [Ki -ah - tz]... doesn't sound too Italian, does it?
Well, after more searching, it was found to be "Caiazza" - which phonetically produced "Chiatz

I believe "Catuzza" was either a misreading of a document due to handwriting, or a misunderstanding of the pronunciation of the name...

Agnes, on the other hand, is an "americanization" of Agata :-)

T.
MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaryMena »

Catuzza is Caterina (Catherine). The -zza at the end of a name was used to distinguish a child from an older relative with the same name. Sometimes it stuck into adulthood. We called an aunt "Catuzza" until her death into her 70's. I also had an aunt Annuzza (Anna) and a cousin Pinuzza (Giuseppina). I still have relatives that live just up the coast from Ferruzzano where the surname Marando is common.

Hope this helps.
MaryMena
MichaelMaranda

Post by MichaelMaranda »

Mary - thank you for that background information.

Is it likely to be used with Agata?

Where we find it is on the online catalog for finding gravesides at Holy Sepulcher in Rochester which returns the following:

Cordello Catuzza AKA Agnes
Burial Date: March 28, 1949

MichaelMaranda

Post by MichaelMaranda »

Image A friend found this for me. It's a birth record for Agata. And it has an annotation pertaining to her marriage, but I can't make out the content of the annotation other than the note being in 1905.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

MichaelMaranda wrote:Image A friend found this for me. It's a birth record for Agata. And it has an annotation pertaining to her marriage, but I can't make out the content of the annotation other than the note being in 1905.
Looks like 4 or 11 June 1905 marriage was contracted with Cardile Demetrio [Demetrio Cardile].
Then it is signed and dated by the official on 21 June 1905

EDIT TO ADD:

Looking at the notation again... it really is hard to read the date - and I am unsure of the first words... usually it identifies the Act #... It looks like it could be the date, or the act #.
ALSO the official's date of insertion could be 27 instead of 21 :shock: :shock:

Can you provide the link to the record, rather that an image?

T.
MichaelMaranda

Post by MichaelMaranda »

I don't have that. (I wish I did have it!) This was provided to me by someone who had gathered some data on Ferruzzano for other purposes. I don't think these have been indexed. And thank you once more!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You may ask the birth and marriage records for Agata Marando by writing to:

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Ferruzzano
Via Umberto I
89030 Ferruzzano RC
Italy