aquata

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
barbara

aquata

Post by barbara »

could someone give me the location of aquata in italy,

also is there a place named coendetto

and also pescina,

just getting started on the search of grand parents lives in italy back in early l900s,
i have found some travel records with the above names.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: aquata

Post by erudita74 »

I think you may be referring to one of these places-but have misspelled it

Arquata Del Tronto, province Ascoli Piceno , region Marche
Arquata Scrivia, province Alessandria, region Piedmont

Pescina, province L'Aquila, region Abruzzo

I can't find Coendetto.

Erudita
dmt1955
Master
Master

Post by dmt1955 »

Pescina is a town in the province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo region

the other two i am unsure about.

donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

There's a comune and its frazione (hamlet) both named Cosoleto in Reggio Calabria, Calabria. I can't find anything close to the spelling you posted.

Perhaps if you tell us what names you are researching, we may better be able to determine the correct town names.

Erudita
barbara

Post by barbara »

the names i am looking for are

sarafino parisee (sp?), who changed his surname to zazzara, (his mother's maiden name) don't know
why. sarafino was born l885

clotilda zazzara (mastrone) born 1904
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I see Serafino on passenger lists and his last residence is given as Pescina. I also see his death registration certificate from Vancouver, BC, Canada, and that just gives his place of birth as Italy and his parents as Peter and Angela, which may or may not be accurate. His date of birth on that record is given as Aug 19, 1883, but that info may not be accurate. Also last place of residence is not necessarily an individual's place of birth, as you may already know.

I also see online Clotilde's death certificate with her date of birth given in 1896, not 1904, as you have given, so I suspect you do not have copies of these records.

Here is a link to those:
British Columbia death registrations

https://familysearch.org/search/collect ... id=1538285

There is also a death record there for a son named Gino Louis or vice versa. There are two records at this link where you will see his name. His place of birth is given as Pescina. He died at age 51 in 1971, so was born there in 1920, if that info is accurate.

There are some online records for the town of Pescina available at familysearch.org but the years in question are not there. I would suggest you send an email to the town asking if they have marriage info for Serafino and Clothilde (use her maiden name of Mastrone or Mastroni, as Italian women are always in the records under their maiden not married surnames). If the son was born about 1920, you could give an estimated year of marriage from 1915 to 1920. Of course, we have no way of knowing if this was their only child. I would have to do further investigation to determine this, but without the online records, it is a difficult task. You would also need to ask for his parents' names, which should be on the record. If you believe that Parisse was his original surname, you would need to give that info as well.

The email address for the town is as follows:

demografici@comune.pescina.aq.it

Send me a private message if you need help with the email, as it is best to send it in Italian. You would have her parents' names from her death record.

Also I believe that Parisse would be the correct spelling of the surname that you believe was originally Serafino's.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

some additional info-

it appears that Serafino had brothers named Vincenzo and Egidio. When Vincenzo arrived aboard the Konig Albert on June 1, 1906, his destiantion was to his brother Serafino in Rochester, NY. Address looks like 296 Scio (?) St. He was age 30 at the time, so born about 1876.

There also is an Egidio Tazzara(o) from Pescina who arrived in 1907 and in 1914. Both times he was going to the brother Vincenzo. In 1907, Vincenzo was on Mulberry St in Manhattan. He was born about 1890.

Sometimes, when you can't find the info you want on one family member, you should start searching for info on other family members, which may ultimately give you the info you need.

If you are aware of any other siblings, let me know.

BTW, what makes you think that Zazzara was the maiden name of Serafino's mother? Do you have any documentation in your possession which proves this?

Erudita
barbara

Post by barbara »

thank you so much, clotilta's birth year as l896 makes much more sense, as she would have given
birth to her first child at 13 otherwise.

i will go over your info, and move forward, and i will get back to you again, thanks again.

the place was pescina, l'Aquilla. apparantly sarafino's first wife domenica was killed in an
earthquake with the family, while sarafino apparantly was in canada, this is family news,
nothing i have found ducumented, but came from direct relatives years ago, who are now
gone.
i did find two earthquakes,
l909 and l915 connected to pescina.

thanks again, Barbara
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're welcome, Barbara. Hopefully you will uncover additional info.
Erudita
barbara

Post by barbara »

i tried to send you a PM, but i messed it up, haven't sent one before.

sarafino's other children were - oldest, maria domenica dob aug 23,l917, (my husbands mother)
antonio zazzara, born l924, italy
rose zazzara, born l926, new westminster,b.c.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Barbara,
Easy to send a PM. Just click on my username and. on the next screen, you will see a link to send a private message. Then you type your message in the box which appears and hit send. The message then shows as being in your outbox but not sent until the receiver retrieves it. When you first join the forum, you might not be able to send a PM until a certain amt of time passes. I remember someone else had that issue but am not sure of the reason.

Thanks for the additional info about the children. I'll see if that helps us to track down any other info about this family.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

This may or may not be your Serafino- estimated year of birth is all I have to go on with this

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XGM2-8ZX

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

passenger list to Boston-

look at lines 25 and 26 of the actual manifest (the second link below). The Serafino on line 25 would have been born in 1883, but the one on line 26 in 1880. So I don't know if these two were cousins, but now I am thinking those siblings I found named Vincenzo and Egidio belong to the Serafino on line 26, but I think the Serafino on line 25 is yours based on his age.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/23FD-XZZ-I don't think this one is yours. I think the one above him on the manifest is your Serafino.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1923995

Also there are online records for Clotilde's family and her parents' names. Do you have her mother and father's death records and the names of their parents? On her mother's death record, the informant is her grandson, the son of Serafino and Clotilde.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1538285

death record of Antonio Mastrone
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1538285

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Barbara
Had you seen the Feb 12, 1912 passenger list on Ellis island for Iazzara Serafino who arrived aboard the Cedric line 24? He was age 27 and his destination was to NY NY and to a brother in law whose name looks like Gaetano Letti (possibly Letta which is a surname in the province). He was living at 24 Mulberry St in Manhattan. On this passenger list, it says that Serafino left behind a wife named Domenica in Pescina. If you don't have this info, this could be important in narrowing down her year of death, if this is the correct Serafino.

Erudita
barbara

Post by barbara »

i did this post earlier, must have deleted it by mistake, so here goes again.
i have been researching on ancestry.ca, but now can't get into the passengers lists anymore, my
membership must have run out, not sure if that is the best one to join.
that montreal destination around l909 or l910 sarafino lists domenica as his wife in place of origin,
so they were married at that time. the entry right after that seemed to be connected with them,
so i thought that might help to find out about her, but can't get in.
she was killed in an earthquake, while he was in canada apparantly, not sure what year that happened, with family. would be nice to have the marriage info about sarafino and domenica
and their children. i'm wondering now if they 'all' knew each other, as that letti,letta name
seems connected to sarafino at that time and is also connected to allasendro mastrone, he
happens to be clotilda's brother, i knew him in new westminster, or maybe that name is
connected to assunta, allesandro's wife.
don't we all wish we had talked to 'all' of these people when they were alive, same thing as
my family in ireland, and england, i could have found out so many things from living people long ago, and
didn't. guess that is quite common.