Avigliano, Potenza, Basilicata

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Avigliano, Potenza, Basilicata

Post by EMTLP »

Hello, My LoRusso ancestors are from Avigliano, Potenza, Basilicata. Can someone tell me the meaning of the word Avigliano. Thanks, Eileen
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Avigliano, Potenza, Basilicata

Post by PeterTimber »

There are two legends about the naming. The first reflects that the original tribe occupying the lands around present day Avigliano gave it a name based upon birds and location sometimes in the 5th century BC while the second legend has it that a vessel was driven to a beach near Avigliano and attempted to escape capture by fleeing up to the mountains and settled where Avigliano is now situated and once again reference is made about birds and favorable winds. The legend is written in Italian and can be read.Do you wish to receive the Italian language translation of the two legends? Peter
~Peter~
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Hi Peter, Thank you for your answer. Sure I'd be happy to see the Italian language translation of the legends. I don't speak Italian but I have a friend who is studying Italian currently and she might be able to help me with the translation to English. Thanks again. Eileen
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to http://www.comune.avigliano.pz.it and at the top you will see a black space for typing in a subject. You type in STORIA (history) and the legends will come up. Peter
~Peter~