Street addresses that no longer exist

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
rp76226
Master
Master

Street addresses that no longer exist

Post by rp76226 »

I posted this in Italian Genealogy before I saw this forum which seems more appropriate:

Based on 3 addresses found on my family's civil records for Racalmuto, Agrigento, Sicily, I have tried unsuccessfully to find them on the official online Racalmuto site that has a Racalmuto map and also on Google Earth. My goal is to get a photo through Google Earth or other means of these addresses. The 3 addresses for Racalmuto are:

1. Via Corso (no number given 'senza' on the record for number) where my grandfather was born in 1896 (birth record #262, May 26).

2. 46 Via Matrice where his father died in 1899 (also record #262 - just a coincidence, November 30).

3. 22 Via Pio Nono where his mother died in 1914 (record # 89, April 4).

I'm hoping that there is some way to find what those street names have been changed to. I have emailed the Comune of Racalmuto, but so far no response.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Street addresses that no longer exist

Post by PeterTimber »

I checked out 46 Via Matrice and kicked out 46 via Matrona and 22 via Pio Nono just a list of streets which you may be able to select if your familiar with Racalmuto. Http://it.mappy.com

Do the same check for the third street. Peter
~Peter~
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I can not do anything with that site. It freezes a lot. You need an account with user name and password, but I see no way to apply for one.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

HTTP://it.mappy.com/mymappy and fill out request on far left for your e-mail address and password to sign in.

By the way when the list of streets comes up I suspect they selected the closest to your street name first. Peter
~Peter~
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Kind of what I thought. Other map sites, when they can't find your street, bring you to any street of their choosing as a default. My best hope is to hear back from Racalmuto, but that looks to be a slim chance.