Calciano

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Calciano

Post by Sasso »

From what I have read my family's place of origin is Calciano, which i believe is in Basilicata. Please correct me if I am wrong. Recently, I have come across a smaller piece of writing on my great great grandfathers passenger list that says Corleto. I assume this means Corleto Perticara. I'm not sure where this fits in with Calciano or if I am just messing something up. If anyone has any input I would be grateful.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Calciano

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you post the passenger list for us?

Both Calciano and Corleto Perticara are in Basilicata. However, Calciano is in Province of Matera; while Corleto Perticara is in Province of Potenza.

Do you have other documents that mention his town of birth?
From what source did you read that the family was from Calciano?

If not, maybe we can help you... :-)

T.
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sasso »

Unfortunately I don't have any other documents that list his birth. In fact, Saverio Sasso seems to be a man of mystery to me. I know his children, who immigrated to the US, list Basilicata and Calciano as their place of birth on multiple records.

I've attached a screen shot of part of the passenger list. If this does not work I'm also attaching a link to the full passenger list.

Bonus: If anyone looks at the full passenger list and can read the reason for immigrating that would be AMAZING :D , it just looks like a bunch of gibberish to me.

Thanks for the help!

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 8.13.20 AM.png
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

We certainly can help Tessa. Just refer "inquirer" to paginebianche. Peter
~Peter~
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Unfortunately, Calciano is listed on his passenger list as his last residence, so it may not be his place of birth. We have no way of knowing his place of birth from this passenger list.
Erudita
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I guess not but you can see the cross reference to the two names in each commune at paginebianche which is indicative. Peter
~Peter~
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Bonus: If anyone looks at the full passenger list and can read the reason for immigrating that would be AMAZING :D , it just looks like a bunch of gibberish to me.
The column you refer to is not the reason for immigrating... but rather his destination.
He is traveling to his "Bro" [brother] Antonio at 99 Spring St., Providence RI.

You may notice that the line below Saverio is Giuseppe Gesualdi, also last residence Calciano, who is going to his Uncle Gesualdi at 99 Spring St. (same address)

MAYBE if we find some info on the brother, we can discover their place of birth...

EDIT TO ADD:
Found this POSSIBLE death record for "brother" Antonio Sasso in Providence in 1942.
His wife's name is Margherita GESUALDI ----
IF this is indeed Saverio's brother... you also have the names of his parents :-)

Antonio Sasso
Rhode Island, Deaths and Burials, 1802-1950

Name: Antonio Sasso
Death Date: 23 Dec 1942
Death Place: Providence, Rhode Island
Birth Date: 1864
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Marguerita Gesualdi
Father's Name: Pasquale Sasso
Mother's Name: Pasqualina

T.
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sasso »

I was just trying to figure out if that Antonio was related to me. I guess he was if Saverio was going to visit him. That's amazin that you those records and thank you so much for deciphering that chicken scratch. :). It would have taken me awhile.

Presumably Pasquale and Pasqualina are the first ancestors to have been born and to have died in Italy. Do you have any idea of where I can begin my search on them in Italy?

Aha, thank you so much. You've been a great help!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Sasso wrote:I was just trying to figure out if that Antonio was related to me. I guess he was if Saverio was going to visit him. That's amazin that you those records and thank you so much for deciphering that chicken scratch. :). It would have taken me awhile.

Presumably Pasquale and Pasqualina are the first ancestors to have been born and to have died in Italy. Do you have any idea of where I can begin my search on them in Italy?

Aha, thank you so much. You've been a great help!
The civil records for Calciano that are online are very limited.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D2043814

You can go to your nearest LDS Family History Center to rent and view records for Calciano, years 1810-1929.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Be aware... all of the above records are in Italian.
If you search for the Sasso name and copy the record, you can post it here and one of us will translate it for you.

Good Luck!

T.
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sasso »

Figured i'd post this here instead of creating a new topic.

I have yet to be able to get to an LDS history center to be able to view the records. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like i'll be able to get there anytime soon.

Is there a place in Calciano, like an archive, that I could e-mail or write to? At the moment this seems to be my only option. If not, a little patience never hurt. :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You can write directly to the Comune of Calciano since records are kept at the town level. :-)

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Corso Umberto I
75010 Calciano (MT)
Italy

Help with letter of request in Italian:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html

T.
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sasso »

Thanks, Tessa. That link came in handy. I combined the one you gave me and a previous letter that I had sent somewhere else.

The only thing I am uncertain of is the money. Do I send it with it or do I tell them to bill me? If I send it to them with the letter, how much is appropriate?

This is the letter that I will be using; does it look alright?

Mi chiamo ------, ed abito nel gli stati uniti d'america, all'indirizzo sopraddetto. Cerco informazioni sul mio bisnonno, Giuseppe Sasso. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia.
Vi sarei grata se poteste cercare gli atti di nascita relativi ai seguenti nominativi e se poteste inviarmene gli estratti contenenti i nomi dei genitori:

Giuseppe SASSO nato intorno al 26 di luglio 1886, figlio di Saverio SASSO
Pasqualina, sua sorella, nato nel 1881
Saverio SASSO nato intorno al 1856, figlio di Pasquale SASSO
Il certificato di matrimonio dei Saverio SASSO e Domenica CIVITO, genitori de Giuseppe e Pasqualina.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certifica
Egregi Signori,
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Italian records should be free. However, you might send a self-addressed UNSTAMPED envelope along as a courtesy, and definitely include your email address in case they do need to contact youif there is a charge in that town. You will also need to send some form of photo ID (driver's license/passport).

IF you write to the local parish priest to obtain records, you should offer a donation.

Letter looks good.

T.