Street Names

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Street Names

Post by tomtst »

Is there a website that lists street names in a particular Italian Town? Some birth or death records list the street name where a person lived, I would like to locate the streets in Google maps but not all the streets in these small towns are labeled or mapped.

Tom
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Street Names

Post by erudita74 »

Tom
Try the following website. Type in town name in the box at the top. Next screen at the bottom will give you a list of the most searched street names in that particular town.

http://www.tuttocitta.it/mappa-italia

Erudita
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Try http://it.mappy.com If you don't know the name of the street put in Via Nazionale which is almost standard and the town name and Province. The maps are great and can be telescoped and enlarged. Peter
~Peter~
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Hi you could also try keying in the following street names found in nearly every city/town:

Corso Umberto
Corso Vittorio Emanuele
Via Regina Elena
Via Margarita

All of the above are names of Italian royalty.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Good show old girl!!...By the way what did your brother say when you told him about the 10th legion and English Roman army veterans populating Abruzzo? Pete
~Peter~
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

The family, including my brother, thinks it's entirely possible. We especially consider the eyes. On both sides, either very blue or green. No brown eyes at all on either side. Recently I came across a commenter from Abruzzo posting in another forum. This person also said that blonde, blue/green is easily found all over Abruzzo but she doesn't know why. And this is the answer I've always gotten too -- or just a shrug of the shoulders. It's good to know at least a plausible theory exists.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am going to research this further. Will keep you posted. Peter
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am very pleased to announce quick and unexpected first step in substantiation....Go to www.pasthorizonspr.com and see article about Stone monument dedicated to Emperor Hadrian and the 10th legion Antoninian between the two Jewish wars..... ! Peter
~Peter~
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Peter, this pretty much ties it all together for me. My Paternal side are the British Abruzzese who joined the Roman 10th Legion, I'm convinced of this and my Italianized paternal sur name practically guarantees it.

Now here's something interesting. My Maternal grand-father has always maintained that he is a direct descendant of Pope Eleuterus from Pirus Greece who was the Bishop of Rome from 174 to his death in 189. Pope Eleuterus had a connection to Abruzzo because the Italianized name of Eleuterus only exists in one place in Italy -- the small hamlet (frazione di Teramo) in Abruzzo where my family comes from. Also during his reign Pope Eleuterus received a letter from a British "king" asking to baptized as a Christian. Actually, this Brit wasn't a king per se because at that time (towards the end of the 2nd century), the Roman Administration was so firmly entrenched in Britain south of Caledonia that there were no kings. At any rate, I have always known that both sides of my family have been in Abruzzo for a long, long time. They probably got together in the second century. No wonder I feel at home here. The USA was just a little trip, LOL.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Have you ever traced the origin of the name ELEUTERUS? Greek or Latin? Peter
~Peter~
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Peter
The topic of Tom's thread is "street names." It seems that your discussion with jennabet is a bit adrift.
Erudita
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Ciao again, Peter. No, I have never personally traced that name either Greek or Latin. I have been told that Eleuterus means "free man" in the Greek language. The Vatican lists Pope Eleuterus (also known as Eleuterius) as a Greek born in Nicopolis in Epirus Greece. By the way, the name of the British "king" he converted to Christianity was Lucius.

Our Italianized family name that exists only in that small hamlet in Abruzzo is Di Eleuterio. It makes sense to me that our descendants with that name are few and not spread all over Italy if we are descended from a Papal family. I have learned a lot about Papal families by watching the European version of the mini-series, "The Borgias".

Also, there was some discussion here earlier about Coat of Arms. A close friend of mine who's family is also from Teramo, Abruzzo has told me that my Paternal family name is on her family's Coat of Arms. Her father was a lay officer of the Catholic Church and made frequent trips back and forth to the Vatican. Another papal connection.

Interestingly enough, as far as street names go in Italian cities/towns, royalty is prevalent and we even have a street named JFK in my city but no street names related to Popes or the Vatican as far as I know, except maybe a few exceptions in Rome.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Tom and Erudita. Thank you for your patience. We are almost ending a legend that has become almost verified and stretches back 50 years!. Peter
~Peter~
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

tomtst wrote:Is there a website that lists street names in a particular Italian Town? Some birth or death records list the street name where a person lived, I would like to locate the streets in Google maps but not all the streets in these small towns are labeled or mapped.

Tom
I usually have success with here.com.

The smallest towns, the narrowest of old Streets all show up. It is a great site.
TerraLavoro
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Erudita thanks for you patience but I want to point out to you and Tomtst that I first answered the initial inquiry byTomst and afterward that I took licence to discuss a 50 year old legends' successful finality that actually started in the University of Perugia Italy when I was a student. Peter
~Peter~