Need help getting a birth certificate

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Callalily913

Need help getting a birth certificate

Post by Callalily913 »

I am trying to determine where my mother, Gertrude was born for the purpose of obtaining her birth certificate. She came to the United States when she was just an infant with her mother, Lucia Kozel
They came on the ship SS Marine Perch and landed in New York, New York on May 21, 1948.
According to the ship manifest her address was listed as:
Via Nicolo Spitalieri, Palermo, Italy this was her grandmothers home, Vincenza Costa.

On the application I found to apply for her birth certificate I must know the Comune di as well as the Provincia di of her birth to request her birth certificate.

I have been unable to determine the Commune di. The address above does not give me anything useful when I put it into google, google earth, maps, mapquests...etc...

It would be most helpful if anyone knows what comune di this street address resides in

Also, does anyone know if there is an easier process for getting her birth certificate. We need it soon.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Need help getting a birth certificate

Post by adelfio »

It says Lucia Kozel was born in Jato on the manifest possible comune San Giuseppe Jato is a village in the province of Palermo

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Callalily913

Post by Callalily913 »

yes I knew that was what it said for my Grandmother, Lucia. I am just trying to find my mothers comune. It just says Palermo. I will just try that one and hope for the best.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Callalily913 wrote:I am trying to determine where my mother, Gertrude was born for the purpose of obtaining her birth certificate. She came to the United States when she was just an infant with her mother, Lucia Kozel
They came on the ship SS Marine Perch and landed in New York, New York on May 21, 1948.
According to the ship manifest her address was listed as:
Via Nicolo Spitalieri, Palermo, Italy this was her grandmothers home, Vincenza Costa.

On the application I found to apply for her birth certificate I must know the Comune di as well as the Provincia di of her birth to request her birth certificate.

I have been unable to determine the Commune di. The address above does not give me anything useful when I put it into google, google earth, maps, mapquests...etc...

It would be most helpful if anyone knows what comune di this street address resides in

Also, does anyone know if there is an easier process for getting her birth certificate. We need it soon.
The correct spelling for this street in Palermo is Via Nicolò Spedalieri
It still exists today in the Comune of Palermo :-) (which is in the Province of Palermo)

http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... Spedalieri

T.
Callalily913

Post by Callalily913 »

Thank you I will send the application with both the comune di as Palermo and the provincia as Palermo...does that sound correct?
Also does anyone know what the address is for the Ufficio di Stato Civile. in Palermo?
I have tried googling it but all I get are websites for searching for genealogy.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Callalily913 wrote:Thank you I will send the application with both the comune di as Palermo and the provincia as Palermo...does that sound correct?
Also does anyone know what the address is for the Ufficio di Stato Civile. in Palermo?
I have tried googling it but all I get are websites for searching for genealogy.
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Palazzo delle Aquile
Piazza Pretoria, 1
90133 Palermo (PA)
ITALY

T.
Callalily913

Post by Callalily913 »

Wow, THANK YOU!! I wish I had done this sooner. You have given me so much information. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Happy to help! :D

T.
Callalily913

Post by Callalily913 »

Hello again. On December 2, 2014 I made the application for my moms birth certificate as instructed below. I mailed it with a tracking number and was able to see that it was delivered on December 29, 2014.
As of today, February 21, 2015, I have not heard anything from the application I sent. I had included my email and phone number on the request as well as our address.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do next?
The reason we need this certificate is because my mother would like to retire from work now, she is 67 and she needs her birth certificate to do that.
I would appreciate any advice you have to help get this certificate.
Thank you so much!!!
CiaoBella1313
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CiaoBella1313 »

If you really need it and sounds like you do, maybe someone can recommend a researcher in Italy to get it for you. I think it will take a while like months or maybe you will never to get a reply.
Halfpint1912

Post by Halfpint1912 »

I would like to obtain s birth certificate of my grandfather from the island of Tremiti. I'm aware it is mostly a tourist destination now. His family migrated to the mainland city of Vieste, providence of foggia.
Who would I write to?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You should address your request to

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Isole Tremiti
Piazza Castello 4
71040 Isole Tremiti FG
Italy
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Callalily913 wrote:Hello again. On December 2, 2014 I made the application for my moms birth certificate as instructed below. I mailed it with a tracking number and was able to see that it was delivered on December 29, 2014.
As of today, February 21, 2015, I have not heard anything from the application I sent. I had included my email and phone number on the request as well as our address.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do next?
The reason we need this certificate is because my mother would like to retire from work now, she is 67 and she needs her birth certificate to do that.
I would appreciate any advice you have to help get this certificate.
Thank you so much!!!
You might try sending a follow-up letter and enclose a photo ID.

Help with follow-up letter.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... o.response

T.
Callalily913

Post by Callalily913 »

thank you but I did finally receive a reply from them on April 4. They simply put an ink stamp on it that states they do not have a certificate for her. We are back to square one and my poor mother continues to work, unable to retire until I can find another solution. Thank you all for your help.
If anyone has any additional advice on how to get a birth certificate from Palermo, Sicily I would welcome your thoughts.