Camposanti in Lucca area

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Camposanti in Lucca area

Post by mjclayton1 »

I'll be in Lucca for a few days in September. Although my partner will NOT want to visit cemeteries while there (I completely understand this sentiment), if I have a little free time of my own I realize how a trip or two to a local "cimitero" could perhaps be a rare opportunity for someone like myself to help archive her deceased ancestors overseas (we live in the U.S.)...

That said, can anyone list for me the primary (historical) cemeteries around Lucca, Capanorri, Gallicano, Barga, Badia di Cantagnano, etc? Also, is there any etiquette in "visiting" such places that an American would need to know?

I consider myself a very respectful person and would therefore not want to do anything to both offend any locals or embarrass myself. Here in America (SF Bay Area), the local Italian Cemetery and Holy Cross cemeteries in Colma, CA (just south of SF) have people that give you assistance in locating grave markers. Generally speaking, is it the same in Italy?

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.