Seeking detailed history of Sulmona, Bugnara, Prezza, Case Faiella

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Cjfaiella

Seeking detailed history of Sulmona, Bugnara, Prezza, Case Faiella

Post by Cjfaiella »

Hello everyone,
I was blessed with the great pleasure of visiting my family's ancestral home region this past summer, and came upon a little hamlet called Case Faiella, which is my family's surname. I'm extremely interested in the establishment of this little hamlet, and think that perhaps the histories of the little villages near there may shine some light on how and why Case Faiella was established. Those little close by villages are Bugnara, Introdaqua, and Prezza close by. Sulmona is the large population center nearby. Any guidance on researching this would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris Faiella
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Seeking detailed history of Sulmona, Bugnara, Prezza, Case Faiella

Post by Anizio »

since Faiella is a frazione of Sulmona, and a very small one at that, your best bet would be to contact the town library of Sulmona and ask them if they have any books, or information. At the very least they can tell you where to look, at best they can give a quick look for you.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Cjfaiella

Post by Cjfaiella »

Thank you very much for your response Anizio - Also have another roadblock I've run into - all of the records (Birth, marriage, death) in the area seem to end at 1860, and I believe my grandfather was born in 1875. I have checked the website antenati.san.beniculturali.it endlessly and very frustratingly. Thanks for any suggestions at all
DCPandaFan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DCPandaFan »

Case Faiella means "Faiella houses" and it probably got that name because one or more Faiella families lived there at one time, and their name came to be used to identify that place. For example, if that place was along a road that led to a stream where women gathered to do laundry, a local person looking for one of the women might be told "Go along the road past the case Faiella, then at the oak tree go left and you can see where the women are." A woman asking her friends where a certain person lived might be given instructions with reference to the case Faiella, and so on. A place would quickly get its own name if it is a handy or prominent reference point to other places or if it was the location of some noted event or person. To be a frazione, the place probably had to be more than just a handy reference point. A lot of frazioni have their own church or market or piazza with businesses or a school.
I agree with Anizio that a local source might be helpful. Was your family actually from that hamlet? You might have some fun looking up Sulmona and those other towns on the Italian Wikipedia. The historical events affecting case Faiella would be the same ones that affected Sulmona, so you would gain some insight learning about those events. Also, you might browse through the State Civile records on familysearch or antenati to see if the hamlet is identified where (some of) those records give addresses.
When will Italy get Giant Pandas?