Family in Fuggio, Italy

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
jd0365

Family in Fuggio, Italy

Post by jd0365 »

Hi, I'm new and trying to find information about my father's family in Fuggio, Italy. My grandfather was Guisseppi Barone. He came to America in 1913 to live with his brother, Anthony DiVietro in Elkhart, Indiana. Upon Naturlization, he changed his name to John DiVietro. My grandmother and father joined him 1917. My grandmother was Carmela Lombardi and my father was named Nicola Barone. Upon naturlization, my father's name was changed to Anthony Patrick DiVietro. They lived on Hamilton Street in Elkhart, Indiana.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Family in Fuggio, Italy

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum, :D

Are you looking just for Italian records? Do you have all the American records (ship manifests, census records, ) you need? Let us know how we can help you.
jd0365

Post by jd0365 »

Yes, fortuately I was able to get the manifest and naturlization papers. I did have a hard time since none of the names were the same but thankfully my Grandmother kept her maiden name and I was able to piece it all together.

But I do not have the census records. Any information you can provide to help find that information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping to find some information in Italy. I'm not sure what to even ask for. Birth records? Marriage and Baptism records?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi :D
Fuggio doesn't exist in Italy... the birth place of your ancestors (at least for John DiVietro) was Volturara Appula (Foggia Province - Apulia region), from the site Ancestry.com here is the military enlistment for Joe DiVietro living in Elkhart - IN

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Joe Divietro
Name: Joe Divietro
County: Elkhart
State: Indiana
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 13 Jan 1887
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1503793
DraftBoard: 2

[img=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2662/d ... wwi.th.jpg]

he stated Volturara Appula as place of birth.

http://www.volturara.it/?s=storia

hope this helps!

Laura :D
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In answer to your question on obtaing records and documents go to
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html to familiarize you with Italian Records.

These records are inthe city, town or village MUNICIPIO and are free of charge to anyone in person or by mail. The census office is also there at the UFFICIO ANAGRAFE while the records are inthe UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE.

=Peter=
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

These records may help, Valarie

possible 1930 census

Home in 1930:
912 Pearl Street, owns $1600
Elkhart, Elkhart, Indiana

head John Divietro 41, abt 1889 IT
- married age 23, abt 1912
- immig 1914, Na
- laborer, steam RR
wife Carmel Divietro 44, abt 1886 IT
- married age 26
- immig 1916, Al
son Anthony Divietro 16, abt 1914 IT
- immig 1916, Na
son James Divietro 13
son Mario Divietro 12
son Joseph Divietro 11
daughter Florence Divietro 8
daughter Sanita Divietro 5
son Pasquale Divietro 4
---

Pretty sure this is the correct family under the name Lombardi
same address as 1930 census, living near brother

probable 1920 census

Home in 1920:
912 Pearl Street, owns
Elkhart Ward 4, Elkhart, Indiana

head John Lornbord 33
- immig 1914, Al
wife Marie Lornbord 31
- immig 1916, Al
son Tony Lornbord 6
- immig 1916, Al
son Vincent Lornbord 5
son Mario Lornbord 1
son Joseph Lornbord 7/12
---

Here's another Draft Registration Card, this one under the name John Lombardo

1917 WWI Crad
John Lombardo
born 18 Sep 1890 in Foggia
Alien
---

Your 1916 manifest, confirms town of birth as Volturara Appula (Foggia Province - Apulia region) as Laura :D suggested
(manifest 2nd page far right column)

1916 page 1
page 2
---

and your 1914 manifest find, Giovanni Barone joining his brother Giuseppe in Elkhart, born in Volturara Appula
(leaving wife Carmela Lombardi in Italy)

1914 manifest pg 1
page 2
Giovanni Barone
---

( :D Hi mj & Laura!)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The address to write to for documents in Volturara Appula is Ufficio di Stato Civile, Palazzo Comunale 5, 71030, Volturara Appula, (Foggia), Italy.
=Peter=
~Peter~
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

Hi, I'm trying to locate info on my mat grandfather, Vincenzo Visceglia. His birth records and military records WW1 Italian army. He is from Acquviva Delle Fonti, Bari. DOB 9/3/1888.

Teakandreggie.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html

Once you understand Italy genealogy you will be in a posiiton to understand and furnish requests to Italy for documents free of charge in form letters inItalian language. Needless to say you canget back to us with questions at any time. =Peter=
~Peter~
BigWave96

Post by BigWave96 »

JD, I've just come across this and I'm not sure that the "John Divietro" noted by some in this post is your grandfather, Guisseppi Barone. The info provided by others is actually for Giovanni Divietro, brother of Joseph. Joseph and Antionette were my great grandparents and I don't recall the Barone name ever being mentioned. I do find it odd that your John and mine both had spouses named Carmel or Carmela, so maybe there is a connection. I will check with my grandfather, Matthew Divietro (Joseph and Antionette's youngest son) to see if he can recall any of the names that you've mentioned, but given his advanced age, it may be difficult. I'll let you know if I can confirm anything for you.
jd0365

Post by jd0365 »

BigWave96,
I do think we are from the same family. I believe I remember your great grandmother at the DiVietro family reunions in Elkhart. If I remember correctly, she lived to be about 90 years old or so. I remember a couple of her daughters too I belive. I think their names were Marietta and Florence. Do I have the correct family? I think here was another sister named Edith too but I don't recall her attending the reunions. If so your grandfather would have been my father's cousin. My father had 6 siblings. He (Anthony) was the oldest. He had brothers Jim, Joe, Maurry and Pat. @ sisters, Florence and Sanita.
AmyBohinc

Re: Family in Fuggio, Italy Divietro

Post by AmyBohinc »

I am so glad to have found this post. Joseph and Antionette Divietro were my great-grandparents too!! Florence, their daughter, is my Grandmother. Grandma Florence is actually turning 100 years old today!!! I remember Nana,Antionette,vagly. Antionette actually lived with us (Grandma Florence, Grandpa Bill, my mother & my father) until she past away sometime around 1983/1984, I was only 4 or 5. I don't have very much family that is still alive & would love to know more about our history.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Giuseppe Divietro
Index#5
1889 Jan 13th in the town of Volturara Appula,Foggia birth of Giuseppe Divietro delivered by Laura Michelangeli age 36 midwife to the mother Filomena Divietro from a union with a man who chose not to named

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n806766001

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
LoraTexs

Post by LoraTexs »

If I am not mistaken, the very first post by jd0365 is my very own aunt. I once found the names Carmela Lombardi on Ellis Island, but I can't ever seem to bring it up again. Here I am again researching family and I come across forum. I get stumped. I can't ever get past Giovanni Barone, Name changed after arrival John DiVietro. His wife Carmela and son Nicola Antone Barone came over 2 years later. Nicola Barone was changed to Anthony Patrick DiVietro. What I found interesting when I DID find the manifest when Giovanni came over he was going to live with his brother, Anthony DiVietro in Elkhart, IN. Anthony Patrick is my grandfather. Can't seem to find out much. I barely remember family reunions in Elkhart. I remember going to Uncle Mario's house once, and then it could have been one of grandpa's other brothers. I remember Florence, Sanita, Jimmy, Mario, Joe and Pasquale (as I remember him as "Uncle Patsy") That's all I know. Would be nice to find out more. Thank you all for your input.