Anybody else mixed with another ethnicity?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Anybody else mixed with another ethnicity?

Post by 113yearslater »

I recall a very informative Roots Tech presentation I saw online about Genetic Genealogy where the presenter talked about a very, very remote tribe of people who had pretty much been on their own for thousands of years, and some scientists took DNA samples and tried to isolate some genes that could be used as markers of just that one tribe. They couldn't do it. People have been fraternizing forever -- in the end, we're all mongrels. :-)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

johnnyonthespot wrote:So far, it appears that I am the only "real" (read "100%") Italian in this group (with the exception of Livio, of course). :D

I must say, I am somewhat surprised.

Having committed the mortal sin of marrying a non-Italian, my son is 50% Italian, 25% English, 12.5% Irish and 12.5% Swedish. Or thereabouts.
Ciao Carmine, I'm contributing a few years late to this discussion but like yourself, I am also a "real" (read 100%) Italian with all four of my grand-parents born in the same region and same province of Italy and they and their ascendants have been there for at least 1,000 years. I have no children of my own to pass my Italian ethnicity onto but if I had had children with the love of my life (whom I met late in life), our children would be 3/4 Italian and 1/4 Mexican. A nice mix if I do say so myself.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Chris got you a website tgo start probing your pre-revolutionary irish immigrants...
www.joewint3.tripod.com/genealogy/IRELAND.html Also give www.mahermatters.com a review. Peter
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

~Peter~
ltramposch97

Post by ltramposch97 »

Yes, I'm 50/50 Italian and German
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The First Holy Roman Emperor crowned in Sicily by the Pope was German who married a Sicilian Queen in Sicily. She promptly deported all the arabs from Sicily and shipped them off to the Emperors octagon shaped hunting palace in the forests of Puglia.....she detested arabs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_ ... an_Emperor

Peter
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

How far did you get in tracing your irish ancestry? What part of Ireland did the irish side came from since those on the east used to paddle over to the English side and join the Roman army which was led by the Roman Centurions while the locals joined the infantry.....It got so bad that Rome sent in their version of Internal Affairs and marched them down to Spain permanently. I assume you have already reviewed http://joewihit3.Tripod.com/genealogy/IRELAND.html

Peter
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Chris G you might wish to read my last entry on page 3 regarding research in Ireland. Peter
~Peter~
PurrfectMeow
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PurrfectMeow »

I think most people aren't 100%, at least people from the US/Canada. I'm 50% italian, my dbd (deadbeat dad) was full blooded. My mother was half polish, a quarter hungarian, and a quarter german. I identify more with the Italian side because I look italian and because I grew up in a very Italian dominated city and neighborhood.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

An American is it? Peter at your service
~Peter~
crow13b

Post by crow13b »

From my dad, I'm 1/4 Italian and 1/4 English. From my mom, I'm 1/2 Tongan. She's from the Tongan Islands in the Pacific.

My paternal grandpa committed the sin of marrying a non-Italian. He's full Italian though born in the US. He was actually "disowned" by his parents because he married outside of Italian blood AND Catholicism. They didn't reconcile for a long time. Because of that, my grandpa moved out west and that's where his immediate and extended family has been and where I've been raised. It's sad, though, because I've never gotten to know my grandpa's side of the family where my Italian roots are.
dita531
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dita531 »

I'm a genuine mutt. English, Irish, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, according to family anyway.
DNA says I'm 18.9 Scandinavian.
HennaRosenthal

Post by HennaRosenthal »

I am 1/2 Italian from my mother's side, 1/2 Russian from my father's side. Dad always said "Russian hands, Roman eyes..."
eoddom

Post by eoddom »

I'm mostly Italian, Irish and German. There's probably allll sorts of stuff mixed in there from my mother.