Italian Postage

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
michaud
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Postage

Post by michaud »

Hey Everyone
Silly question.....
I need to send a self addressed envelope to Italy with a return address to Canada.
I asked at the postal office how much in stamps I would need and they could not tell me...
Can someone please help as to how much canadian postage I will need coming from italy.
Thanks so much....
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Italian Postage

Post by erudita74 »

michaud wrote:Hey Everyone
Silly question.....
I need to send a self addressed envelope to Italy with a return address to Canada.
I asked at the postal office how much in stamps I would need and they could not tell me...
Can someone please help as to how much canadian postage I will need coming from italy.
Thanks so much....

You can't use Canadian postage for an envelope being mailed from Italy to Canada. You would need to enclose the self-addressed envelope in your mailing to Italy, but not with any stamps on it.

Erudita
michaud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaud »

Oh.....I have been asked to send a self addressed stamped envelope as the city hall there will not mail something to me without it.
What should I do??
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

michaud wrote:Oh.....I have been asked to send a self addressed stamped envelope as the city hall there will not mail something to me without it.
What should I do??
You'll have to ask your post office in Canada about the following-

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manua ... eply-e.asp

International reply coupons were once sold in the U.S. to send with a request to Italy. When the Italian individual, or Italian office received it, it could be brought to a local post office in Italy and exchanged for Italian stamps to attach to an envelope mailed back to the U.S. I don't believe these are still available in the U.S. though.

Erudita
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Just enclose $5.00 for stamps.........just get it on its way.
~Peter~
michaud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaud »

Thanks Peter....
Do you mean $5 in euros...cash?
Sorry....this is all new to me.
Thanks
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Yes cash. Clerks normally service walk ins during the day and only process written requests at the end of day so the US$5.00 is a gesture along with the self addressed envelope. The Italian office in Italy will normally pay the postage on their end so consider the cash as a tip
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

We already discussed this topic in the past: sending a tip to an Italian government (local or central) clerk is not only offensive but also illegal.