Playing Cards

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
RoryRezzelle

Playing Cards

Post by RoryRezzelle »

Ciao everyone!

I'm a 4th generation Italian-American and I love playing cards. I didn't come across playing cards from Italy until a few months ago but when I did I went straight to my cousins and friends in Italy to ask about them. I quickly found out that the cards used in Italy look the same as they always have and there's not a lot of custom decks based on their design. I really like custom decks (decks by artists and designers) and I thought that these decks shouldn't be left out, they are a huge part of my own Italian heritage.

So I started working on a project, it was going to be a dark-themed deck. All black cards with the images turned white. Then the size of the cards became a problem, the standard decks from Italy are multiple sizes and not a size that any of the playing card printers had. So, I opted to go with an international standard - the poker size. I named the deck Scopa Oscura.

I worked for a few months on this and finally thought I had it all right and so I decided to post the deck on Kickstarter to try to raise money to have the deck printed. Thirty days passed so slowly but in the end I couldn't get enough backers to raise the money I needed. So I'm going back to the drawing board and making some changes. I'm also trying to do more reaching out to the people who would be interested in a deck like this, so I came here.

Here's a preview of what I'm working on for this deck. I actually plan on having two decks this time, one with French suits and one without, both will have 54 cards (with two extra gaff cards and rules cards for Scopa and Briscola in English). I hope you guys like it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Playing Cards

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum, Rory.
Sounds like an interesting project.
Best of luck with it! :D

T.