Anybody else mixed with another ethnicity?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Anybody else mixed with another ethnicity?

Post by rancelli »

I'm actually of Mexican and Italian descent. My moms side is Italian and my dads side is Mexican.
jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Anybody else mixed with another ethnicity?

Post by jgenduso »

Mostly Italian with some Irish,

Joseph
Joseph F Genduso, PMP, MEng, MBA

Researching Genduso, Lo Re, Cagnina, Gallina, Mancuso, Mazzarisi, Panzica, Fratallone and Trombello in Resuttano (CL), Sicily
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Most of the people in this forum have double ethnicity:American - Italian, English - Italian, Brazilian - Italian or Argentinian - Italian...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

All four of my grandparents were born in Italy, as were all of their ancestors at least as far back as the late 1700's. My mother was born in New York, as was I. My father was born in New Jersey which, if you can believe some of today's TV programs, probably counts as "another ethnicity." :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Yes, actually, I'm really only 1/4 Italian. I'm also 1/4 Irish (roughly, my mom is half Irish and my dad is 1/8), 1/8 German, a little Scottish, and then my paternal grandfather is just a Southern mix of everything.

I don't think it's really about HOW much Italian blood you technically have in you, it's more about what culture you identify most with, and for me, it's definitely Italian. I mean, it was what I knew growing up. I only met ONE out of my four grandparents, and that was my Italian maternal grandmother, and I didn't even know what my dad's parents looked like till last year (my moms father died when she was 15, the others are just, well, not the greatest people, frankly). The family I knew was my Italian family (including my grandmother's long time, 1st generation Calabrese beau) so I really don't feel any connection to other ethnicities, just because my ancestors were from those countries.

Anyway, you asked :lol:
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Yes, I am about 3/4 Italian and 1/4 German. My faher's side is all Italian back past the mid-1700's which is as far as I have gotten thus far and my Mother's side has German and Italian. Her mother was born in Germany, but her mother's father was born Italian and adopted by Germans. I agree with Squigy, it is a matter of which culture you identify with most and/or how you were raised. I was raised in a traditional Italian household and family. Every Sunday was spent with my father's family, my cousins were more like siblings and similar to Squigy my German grandmother passed before I was born so I never knew her. I did however know her mostly childless siblings and they were a part of my life...all of which came to US from Germany in the 1800's. So I had some of that culture, but in our house it was mostly an Italian way of living.

I do have to add though that because I never knew my maternal German grandmother I never felt a connection to her until I started tracing my family tree and I obtained her passport. She didn't have a kind or happy life after she came to the US and she died at 48 yrs old and finding her passport, seeing the little 12 yr old girl with pigtails thinking that she probably believed she was coming to US for a better life and knowing how it all turned out for her really made me feel a connection to her for the first time in my life. Once learning more about her and her life I found a picture of her looking beautiful and serene and I couldn't frame it fast enough and display with my other Italian ancestor's pictures. :)

This work digs up all those emotions and enables us to build relationships even with the ghosts of ancestors past :)

Happy searching!
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

Squigy wrote:Yes, actually, I'm really only 1/4 Italian. I'm also 1/4 Irish (roughly, my mom is half Irish and my dad is 1/8), 1/8 German, a little Scottish, and then my paternal grandfather is just a Southern mix of everything.

I don't think it's really about HOW much Italian blood you technically have in you, it's more about what culture you identify most with, and for me, it's definitely Italian. I mean, it was what I knew growing up. I only met ONE out of my four grandparents, and that was my Italian maternal grandmother, and I didn't even know what my dad's parents looked like till last year (my moms father died when she was 15, the others are just, well, not the greatest people, frankly). The family I knew was my Italian family (including my grandmother's long time, 1st generation Calabrese beau) so I really don't feel any connection to other ethnicities, just because my ancestors were from those countries.

'

Good answer...I hear you I identify more with my Italian side because of the area I grew up in. My town of 8,000 people is about 35% Italian.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

rancelli wrote:
Squigy wrote:Yes, actually, I'm really only 1/4 Italian. I'm also 1/4 Irish (roughly, my mom is half Irish and my dad is 1/8), 1/8 German, a little Scottish, and then my paternal grandfather is just a Southern mix of everything.

'

Good answer...I hear you I identify more with my Italian side because of the area I grew up in. My town of 8,000 people is about 35% Italian.
Mine was, too! The two towns (in the same county) I grew up in were both 30% Italian, one with a population of around 30,000 people, the other with around 9,000. The dominance of the Italian population created a bit of....friction between them and other groups (especially the Irish!)

There are many reasons I identify more with Italian culture than any other groups in my ancestry, but mainly it's because it's what I know. Like I said, I didn't know (nor did I want to know, really) my dad's family, I unfortunately never got to meet my maternal grandfather (and I never met another member of his family) the only relatives I have are my Italian ones and my father.

I feel sort of funny claiming other ethnicities, when in reality, I have no connection to them.
My Italian surnames:

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

So far, it appears that I am the only "real" (read "100%") Italian in this group (with the exception of Livio, of course). :D

I must say, I am somewhat surprised.

Having committed the mortal sin of marrying a non-Italian, my son is 50% Italian, 25% English, 12.5% Irish and 12.5% Swedish. Or thereabouts.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote:So far, it appears that I am the only "real" (read "100%") Italian in this group (with the exception of Livio, of course). :D
Well, I'm 75% Italian and 25% Irish :roll:
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

liviomoreno wrote: Well, I'm 75% Italian and 25% Irish :roll:
Aack!

What next? Is the Pope not Catholic?? :!:
Carmine

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

[quote="Aack! What next? Is the Pope not Catholic?? :!:[/quote]

Well he is Catholic, BUT he's not Italian...lol! He's German! :shock:

And I am in the same boat as most of the others here...my community was mostly Italian. I attended a mostly Italian Catholic grade school and the small borough I grew up in was filled with Italians that owned mushroom farms here. So it's cultural, societal as well as familial. Sounds like that's how it was for most of us! :mrgreen:
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Having committed the mortal sin of marrying a non-Italian, my son is 50% Italian, 25% English, 12.5% Irish and 12.5% Swedish. Or thereabouts.
My grandmother (full Italian) is starting to get upset with the lack of full bloods! We keep telling her, if she wanted full blooded Italian kids and grand kids (and great grand kids, for that matter) she'd have to have married an Italian!

But like I was saying, blood quantum isn't everything. I, too, went to an almost entirely Italian Catholic school, grew up in an Italian neighborhood with Italian family members all living close by. Culturally, that's what I identify with because it's what I know and what's familiar.
My Italian surnames:

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

My father was born in Italy and migrated to Australia in 1928. My mother was a fourth generation Australian. The first couple of arrivals on my mothers side to Australia, were English and both sent downunder with transport free of charge as convicts! One was more of a con man by today`s standards and the other fellow broke into a pawnshop a couple of times to steal some scrap metal,or so it says in the court records from England. The real baddies at that time, were put down in England. Many Australian`s these days just love to find a convict in the past,as there are very good records relating to these early convicts. Besides these two very early arrivals to Australia,with the first in 1820, my mothers side since the early arrivals, has been about fifty fifty Irish and Scottish from immigration to Australia. John
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Yes I am 75% Italian.... 12.5% Irish and 12.5% English... My English ancestors were in Colonial America before America was America going back to 1640's They were one of the Original Founders of Norwich Conneticut..
I have no clue where in Ireland I originated.. Cant find the documents...

My Italian side has been a ride....A great ride for me... (o;