Italian Land Records

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
nic5541

Italian Land Records

Post by nic5541 »

Hi everybody,

I have a simple question to ask you, because I do not know where to ask this question anymore.

My question is where to I find Italian land records? Are they kept by the Comuni, Agenzia delle Entrate, or the Agenzia del Territorio, or any other place I am not aware of?

I am trying to see if any of my ancestors, left behind any unclaimed or abandoned land for me to claim

Also, how do you request the record from them? Do you need to fill out a form, just write a letter.

If I had to write a letter, do I have address to a specific office?

Also, please note that I want to do this on my own, and I do not want a site which charges an arm and a leg to do it for me.

Nic
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Italian Land Records

Post by erudita74 »

Notarial records are difficult to access, but contain wills, purchases, sales, and legal disputes. They are useful for researching families who owned property or were involved with legal matters. Most of these records are found in the archive of each province. Few notarial records have been microfilmed.
(info from familysearch.org and also from Trafford Cole in his book Italian Genealogical Records).

So what town and province are you talking about?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Good point about wanting to do it yourself instead of paying an arm or leg.
When I have to get this for a client I go to the Agenzia del Territorio closest to me. They are not in every town. I fill out a form called Richiesta di Visura Catastale and provide the details of the last person born in Italy.
If there is property I then request a map. My rate for this could be described as a 'hand' or 'foot'.
You might want to check out my blog about unclaimed land before you go ahead with all this paperwork.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
nic5541

Post by nic5541 »

Well, the town and province is Sannicandro di Bari, Bari,Italy.

I am trying to see if my GGF, left any land unclaimed or abandoned. My GM, said that he died in the war, and I am have beenn able to obtain a copy of his foglio matricolare, which shows all his birth details.

erudita, you give me a good idea to ask the State Archives of Bari to check to see if they have any notarial records for my GGF.

Ann, thank you for that response. I have already written a letter to the Agenzia del Territorio, and now I have to wait to hear back from them. I did not know that there was a form to fill out, concerning your ancestor, as I just sent a letter to them explaining my situation, along with an 20 Euro bill. When you say, "Visura Catastale", do you mean that you only get access to see the record, or do they actually send you the record itself.

Also,I don't have this person's codice fiscale, so will the Agenzia still be Ok to provide a land record, by just date and place of birth.

Ann, can you also, for my knowledge and understanding tell me EXACTLY step by step how you get a land record, starting with an initial request from the client to the receivment of the land record.

Thanks,

Nic
nic5541

Post by nic5541 »

Ann, I would like to ask you one more question?

I checked the form, and it says that you need a codice fiscale, for the person on whose land document you are researching.

How do you manage to find a codice fiscale for a person, when you don't know that person's codice fiscale?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Italy is complicated. When I go, she knows me, she looks up the name, if she finds it we fill out the form and she gives me the record. I have no idea how it works by mail.
I use my codice fiscale when I apply. SInce you don't have one, I don't know what happens. Sorry.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

A "codice fiscale" is like a social security number, introduced in 1973 for Italian citizens or foreigners resident in Italy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_fiscal_code_card
It basically contains informations about date and place of birth
You can try to calculate a codice fiscale for a dead italian citizen (your great-grand father) using a tool like
http://zip-codes.nonsolocap.it/codice-fiscale/
but I don't know if the site of Agenzia del Territorio will accept it!
I'm sorry to say it, but the best way to do this research is to find some professional residing in the area of your interest, also because the records you need are very old and not informatized.
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
delonotte

Post by delonotte »

Sannicandro di Bari is under the jurisdiction of the office of Bari. You can phone

AGENZIA DEL TERRITORIO UFFICIO PROVINCIALE DI BARI

Via Amendola Giovanni 164/C - 70126 Bari (BA)
tel: 080 5482004, 080 5910009

what is the name of your ggf?
I can try to find some people in Sannicandro

Valeria
nic5541

Post by nic5541 »

Actually delonotte,

That address is not the same as the one listed on the Agenzia Del Territorio for Bari: http://www.agenziaterritorio.it/site.ph ... incia=Bari

My GGF's name is Francesco Mossa, born Oct 30th 1887, in Sannicandro di Bari (BA), to Vito Mossa and Rosa Minielli.

Regards,

Nic
italianlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italianlaw »

From the Italian Property Registry, there are two unclaimed properties in his name

Cognome: MOSSA Nome: FRANCESCO
Data di Nascita:
Immobili nel comune di: SANNICANDRO DI BARI Codice: I053
Immobili individuati: 2

Anthony Alioto
http://www.italianlaw.net
San Francisco
julwebb76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by julwebb76 »

Hello,
I have been looking into trying to find land records to see if the property that was handed down to my great grandmother was still in the family. I have a picture of a letter that was sent in 1948 stating that my great grandmother inherited property from her grandfather when he passed away. There were 3 houses on the property and it was located in trabia. Can you direct me as to where i can find records or find out if the family is still in the family? any help would be appreciated and i can even send a picture of the letter.
My great grandmother was Rosa Dimatteo( maiden name) vivirito (married name) and her father was Antonio DiMatteo and his father that left rosa and her sister elizabetta houses and land was Domenico DiMatteo. i guess Domenico had passed away about 20 years before they discovered that the land was left to them and than they sent the letter and that was in 1948.
There was and i am sure still is DiMatteo family still living in sicily.
Lanasmil

Post by Lanasmil »

have tried to search in FamilySearch website?
acanais56

Post by acanais56 »

erudita74 wrote: 26 Sep 2012, 16:55 Notarial records are difficult to access, but contain wills, purchases, sales, and legal disputes. They are useful for researching families who owned property or were involved with legal matters. Most of these records are found in the archive of each province assurances obsèques. Few notarial records have been microfilmed.
(info from familysearch.org and also from Trafford Cole in his book Italian Genealogical Records).

Thank you for this information. Therefore only direct descendants can enjoy this advantage.
adelec25

Post by adelec25 »

erudita74 wrote: 26 Sep 2012, 16:55 Notarial records are difficult to access, but contain wills, purchases, sales, and legal disputes. They are useful for researching families who owned property or were involved with legal matters Travaux dépendance seniors. Most of these records are found in the archive of each province. Few notarial records have been microfilmed.

It is difficult to consult these documents, especially if you do not have a lot of time to evaluate the bequeathed property.