Search found 42 matches

by millybobs
28 May 2012, 17:16
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Risi and Fusco families
Replies: 64
Views: 67930

Re: Risi and Fusco families

Bjorn Wondered if you have found out any more about your family since your last post? My great grandfather, Lorenzo Antonio Risi, b 1850 in Cassino, arrived in Newcastle in 1914 after living in Glasgow, Bradford, Leeds and Hull. He lived in Byker until his death in 1927. He was a street seller of ic...
by millybobs
18 Aug 2009, 20:27

Hi Tony
Great to hear from you. Would love to hear more: I've sent you a pm with my email address.

Regards
Paul
by millybobs
26 Jan 2009, 22:54

You could try the pay-to-view Ancestry.com website but all the evidence suggests it is almost impossible to get passenger lists for vessels coming to UK unless they originated ouside Europe or the Mediterranean, since they simply do not exist. There has been lots of correspondence on this forum unde...
by millybobs
26 Jan 2009, 08:40

Bjorn
Have you seen http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/artic ... ture.shtml ? Is this your family?

Paul
by millybobs
19 Jan 2009, 09:24

Hi 'Geordie' Welcome to the forum. :D I have been researching the Risi family, mostly the Hull branch, for a couple of years. Some of the family moved to the Newcastle area in the early 20th century so we may have some connections. As Peter says, let us know some details about your ancestors and wha...
by millybobs
04 Jan 2009, 20:24

Hi Tishy
Welcome to the forum and a Happy New Year to you.
It's good to hear from you as I've been trying to make the connection between the Newcastle Risis and those from Hull for some time. I am sending you some information direct to your email address.
Regards
Paul
by millybobs
08 Jun 2008, 13:51
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Little Italy exhibition, London, UK
Replies: 0
Views: 3343

Little Italy exhibition, London, UK

There is an exhibition on London's Italian community at Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre, Holborn Library, 32 - 38 Theobalds Road, London WC1. It covers the history of the community from its origins in the early 19th century until its decline after the Second World War. If your ancestors liv...
by millybobs
13 Dec 2007, 11:22
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Inheritance traditions
Replies: 3
Views: 7365

Inheritance traditions

In Trafford R Cole's excellent book “Italian Genealogical Records" he says that the traditional independence of Italian towns in the Middle Ages "created a strong sense of property; to retain sufficient land for the sustenance of the family, the property was not divided but was passed on...
by millybobs
09 Dec 2007, 11:30
Topic: US (issued) Passport Applications
Replies: 21
Views: 19062

Re: US (issued) Passport Applications

I just tried the link for Risi surname and it brought up five, including two of my relatives from Hull. You could try Nat. Archives home page; click 'search the archives' on red bar at top and 'the catalogue' on drop down box. Clicking 'search the catalogue' brings you back to the same page; maybe t...
by millybobs
08 Dec 2007, 19:35

The link to search for UK naturalisation papers is National Archives Put the surname in the 'word/phrase' box and 'HO' in the 'Dept/Series Code' box. Any naturalisation papers between 1879 -1934 will be brought up. Because of the 100-year rule, papers after about 1905, though, are not normally acces...
by millybobs
06 Dec 2007, 11:38

My great grandfather's Birth Act (dated 1850) gives his mother's name as Giacomina RISI aged 30, residing in San Germano (Cassino). I have found a Birth Act for a Giacoma Anna Alessandra RISI for 1 May 1820 in San Germano. I could find no other female RISIs born in S Germano from 1815 - 1821 (the da...
by millybobs
05 Dec 2007, 16:51

Emmy
If you mean naturalisation to the UK, there's a searchable on-line index at the PRO at Kew.

I'll check out the link and post here if you or anyone else needs it. I think its the HO144 series.

Millybobs
by millybobs
21 Nov 2007, 09:56

Hi
I have sent you a personal message.
Millybobs
by millybobs
10 Nov 2007, 20:56
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: casinium
Replies: 4
Views: 7459

Re: casinium

The town, originally established by the ancient Volsci people, passed under Roman control in c312BC and was known to them as Casinum. It flourished and developed into an important military and communications cenrte during the Republic and early Empire. After it fell into partial ruin, a settlement k...
by millybobs
17 Oct 2007, 11:52
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Marriage Document
Replies: 9
Views: 10213

Re: Marriage Document

Emmy my Latin is rather rusty but here's my attempt - I won't be offended if someone with better knowledge makes some corrections! Gianbattista de Filippis [son of] Dominice and Maria Josefa Fionda, and Francesca Bastianiello, daughter of Pascha(?), have in the Church of Santa Maria of the Indulgenc...