Search found 88 matches

by rjmichaels
17 Jun 2016, 23:49
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: History of Santa Maria Capua Vetere Caserta
Replies: 2
Views: 2448

Re: History of Santa Maria Capua Vetere Caserta

I have family from SMCV but have been unable to find much. I know that until ~1861 it was known as Santa Maria Maggiore. I also know that there used to be another town, San Pietro Incorpo, that was absorbed into SMCV. I believe that this happened around 1812, as it has its own civil records until th...
by rjmichaels
13 Feb 2016, 07:27
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Willing to do San Pietro Apostolo, Catanzaro Look-Ups
Views: 3543

Willing to do San Pietro Apostolo, Catanzaro Look-Ups

Hello, I am just posting to see if anyone needed look-ups in San Pietro Apostolo, Catanzaro. I have worked with these records for many records and am quite familiar with them. I am probably going to put several of these films on permanent loan. I currently have births 1810-1861, marriages 1810-1861,...
by rjmichaels
13 Feb 2016, 06:01
Topic: Help finding 1930 census of Antonino "Anthony" Murana
Replies: 10
Views: 6520

Re: Help finding 1930 census of Antonino "Anthony" Murana

Have you gotten a copy of Giuseppe's 1923 marriage record? I have no experience with Louisiana records but some marriage records would provide information as to residence of parents (and would indicate if they were deceased). Also get the marriage record from the church; although, with a name like S...
by rjmichaels
29 Nov 2015, 16:15
Topic: Need Help!!
Replies: 67
Views: 36116

Re: Need Help!!

Good work, livio! My connection lagged out and I didn't see your response; but the question is, is that the translation requested? I read it as a full doc translation, which I can dig out a book and scan if need be.
by rjmichaels
29 Nov 2015, 16:10
Topic: Need Help!!
Replies: 67
Views: 36116

Re: Need Help!!

They're pretty easy to read; standard forms. If you want a full translation, I'd say just get a form and ask around here for additional details. It's surprisingly easy to read records; I only know English but have been able to navigate Italian, German, French, Latin, and Swedish. Worse comes to wors...
by rjmichaels
14 Nov 2015, 13:19
Topic: Immigrant Name Changes
Replies: 28
Views: 15237

Re: Immigrant Name Changes

I think a lot is origin and areas settled. I have seen Pasquale=Charles many, many times (early-1900s - later on I see Patsy or Patrick; I think the Pasquale to Charles is Quale to Charlie pronunciation). I have at least five cases of Carmela to Clara (one even noted as such on the baptismal record....
by rjmichaels
11 Nov 2015, 14:31
Topic: Class Change?
Replies: 5
Views: 2887

Re: Class Change?

How does one find who raised an individual? Rosalina was orphaned at 1. And her family was originally from another town. I feel one of the 3 or 4 witnesses to her marriage probably raised her (and accounts for Giuseppe becoming a goldsmith eventually). The family itself did quite well; even the youn...
by rjmichaels
11 Nov 2015, 09:47

Hi suanj, I have believed what you have said for a long time. It is great to know that you have seen such circumstances. It is worth to note that the spouse didn't go from cobbler to goldsmith until his late-40s. ~1857 if I remember. I checked the marriage record though and it is witnessed by four; ...
by rjmichaels
08 Nov 2015, 06:45

The only answer I have found for the Vincenzo to James phenomena is pronunciation. The second syllable, cen or cenz, can sound similar to the name James to a non-Italian ear. The same with Pasquale to Charles...the quale part could easily sound like "Charlie" to a non-Italian. Hence was th...
by rjmichaels
07 Nov 2015, 19:27

Thanks, everyone! I have seen many that I already knew, but I knew I had not encountered. BTW, suanj, my ancestor, Rosario Tomaino, used Roy, which has been memorialized in the names of numerous descendants of his. It is odd how some immigrants translated their names. However, I have found the Vince...
by rjmichaels
07 Nov 2015, 12:29
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Forum for Posting Old Photos Here at IG
Views: 10217

Re: Forum for Posting Old Photos Here at IG

Hi Angela! I completely agree! It would amount to a much more accessible and successful tool! I am sure the powers-at-be would consider it. Let's try to get this going for that! It really is a great idea! It will get low traffic for a while, I am certain, but will serve as a useful channel for resea...
by rjmichaels
07 Nov 2015, 08:08

Immigrant Name Changes

Hello all, As another point of discussion, I would like to see how others have seem immigrants to the United States dealt with language disparities in relation to their names. I have come across one baptismal record in Italian that gave the baptismal name and, afterwards, said "Eng:" for E...
by rjmichaels
07 Nov 2015, 08:02
Topic: What Name Did Your Relative Use?
Replies: 0
Views: 2151

What Name Did Your Relative Use?

Hello all, This is a post I have contemplated for some time, but sandyman720 asked it in some degree. While the majority of my ancestors had simplistic names (one given name), some had two or even three given names. Out of curiosity and a desire to relate more to them, I ask if there was any sort of...
by rjmichaels
07 Nov 2015, 03:43

Hi Marty,

Sorry, I did not see your response until now. Hmm, that is an interesting point. I think that it was a class change though, because all of his children had good jobs (one was a watch maker, another was a mediator).

Ray
by rjmichaels
07 Nov 2015, 03:40
Topic: Baptism Records Naming Conventions?
Views: 1458

Re: Baptism Records Naming Conventions?

He could have gone by Pasquale, Giuseppe, or Diego. The only way to know for sure is to find how he was referred to in later records. I have not noticed a convention for which name a person went by. I have also seem relatives who immigrated and started using one of their other given names. For examp...