Search found 113 matches

by Violam
06 Oct 2010, 00:42
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Payment for Italian docs?
Replies: 4
Views: 3183

Re: Payment for Italian docs?

I wrote a letter in Italian with one of the many 'form' letters thay have on line. I was asking for my Grandfather's birth cert. to get the name of my Great Grand Mother..I received it in the mail with no charge. I guess it may depend on who u r writting to. I was amazed n willing to pay.
by Violam
07 Aug 2010, 13:44
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Italian Army WW1
Replies: 30
Views: 34681

Re: Italian Army WW1

Thank you..
by Violam
28 Jul 2010, 03:55
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: how to find out
Replies: 1
Views: 2703

how to find out

[b]My Grandfather moved to up state, N.Y. from Italy..he was Angelo there but in N.Y. he was Charles. Is there any way to 'find' out when he did this? I mean how and where do you start?
by Violam
26 Jul 2010, 23:27
Topic: Italian Noble Titles
Replies: 16
Views: 19686

Re: Italian Noble Titles

I know, Ive seen this site before.
by Violam
26 Jul 2010, 20:52

Well, it was just interesting to see that rg 1905 had mentioned Marchese. I know that it was used in France as well as Italy..no real reason, just interesting..my Grandfather was from an area near Naples..with the name Marchese..some times spelled as his is..
by Violam
26 Jul 2010, 19:47

I was looking thru some stuff last night on my Grandparents name..this is just a bit of what I found..it was a good site..just put the letter of the name u want and hundreads come up with the meanings.. Marchese-from the medieval noble title "Marchese" =Marquis I looked up the surmans in t...
by Violam
25 Jul 2010, 17:47
Topic: Ellis Island pics
Replies: 15
Views: 11061

Re: Ellis Island pics

As I said, I am reading, Island Of Hope, Island of tears. I finished it today. My Grandfather who came from Italy is one of a stories that could have been in this book. He came over very young. Like 12 or so (different stories there) any way, he knew very little English to read or write. He worked a...
by Violam
24 Jul 2010, 17:15

Thank you...
by Violam
24 Jul 2010, 14:28

I am reading the book, Island Of Hope, Island Of Tears now..funny. I got it at the book fair here in a Mexican book store. I can actually 'see' what was going on..I bought the book for $10..when I am finished with it, Iam going to return it to the store. Maybe some one else will enjoy it too. I m no...
by Violam
24 Jul 2010, 00:52

It IS an amazing place. Ive been there a few times..a few just isn't enough. I cried, got goose bumps n just walked around with my mouth opened..I think it may do that kind of thing to US who have had family come in. Its something that for me is really hard to put into words...I walked around, sat o...
by Violam
23 Jul 2010, 14:02
Topic: Meaning of lines?
Replies: 5
Views: 3447

Re: Meaning of lines?

Thanx Peter. I will check this out later when I have more time..off to the Mission:-))))))))))
by Violam
23 Jul 2010, 13:51
Topic: Meaning of lines?
Views: 3447

Meaning of lines?

[b] I was looking thru some ships manifests last night and noticed on one page that lines were going right thru like the first 6 people listed..what does that mean? Also some pages had NO names on the whole list and then, 'non-immagration' alien stamped on some names. What does all this mean? Thank ...
by Violam
18 Jul 2010, 17:33
Topic: Funeral Rites
Replies: 19
Views: 22456

Re: Funeral Rites

My Mother's family as growing up, they had 'Perpetual' care for the grave sites. All of the children (8 girls) my Mom n her sisters even now, split the cost to keep it up n looking nice. I think that is a wonderful things. We Italians really care about our families. Im proud to be Italian.
by Violam
18 Jul 2010, 13:51
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Now for Grand Pa's side
Views: 4184

Re: Now for Grand Pa's side

Shaking my head at me now..Iam really sorry for 'jamming' u guys up. I just havent been thinking to clearly since my Mom died a couple Months ago and this is HER family..