Search found 93 matches

by PunzoNewHaven
11 Mar 2011, 22:45
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: New Haven CT 1880 Census Help
Replies: 11
Views: 3750

Re: New Haven CT 1880 Census Help

You're welcome. Go to familysearch.com and enter F Fernino then CT as location and it will come up. :) Thanks very much for the info. The names you posted.. Angelo and Giovanni... are not familiar. However, the death of Frank Fernino in 1896 could very well have been my great grandfather. Could you ...
by PunzoNewHaven
10 Mar 2011, 22:07

Found some info. on ED for you. If this link doesn't work, when you go to Ancestry, click on a page of the New Haven Census where is says "View this Image" when you do there are little green links on top, just click on say Ward 3, then it will give you a list of all the wards and the distr...
by PunzoNewHaven
10 Mar 2011, 21:55

I also found a Frank (could be Francesco Farnino) that passed away in 1896, could that be him? It doesn't give an address, however if you go to New Haven City Hall, Vital Records on Orange St. they can get you birth and death certificates right away for $20.00 each.
by PunzoNewHaven
10 Mar 2011, 21:51

Do these names look familiar? Name: Angelo G. Fernino Gender: Male Baptism/Christening Date: Baptism/Christening Place: Birth Date: 25 Oct 1889 Birthplace: New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut Death Date: Name Note: Race: Father's Name: Giovanni A. Fernino Father's Birthplace: Father's Age: Mother's Na...
by PunzoNewHaven
10 Mar 2011, 11:41
Topic: Adoptions in Italy
Replies: 10
Views: 2800

Re: Adoptions in Italy

Livio,

Would the orphanage have sent him to the US? Was that standard?

Thank you, you are such a wealth of information.
liviomoreno wrote:Congrega dei poveri = Congregation (confraternity) of the poor.

I could not find them.
by PunzoNewHaven
10 Mar 2011, 11:10

I am not sure what an ED is? There is another great site, Family Search.com or org just do a search. The Italians were all over New Haven, mine were all spelled incorrectly in the old census' as well. But there are some really great people here who may be able to help you like they did me if you giv...
by PunzoNewHaven
10 Mar 2011, 11:07

Thank you, Livio. I looked that name up and get some results. Can you tell me what Congrega dei poveri translates to? I wanted to try to contact them and see if they have any records. And this was in Atrani, correct?

Was this a very normal thing back then?
by PunzoNewHaven
09 Mar 2011, 23:29

Wow, I looked at it, but I thought it said Ann Esposito's said Husband Giovanni Esposito, so she was like his nanny?

Any idea what it means by Carmella taking care of him? Was she at the orphange? Or a person?

This is too amazing!
by PunzoNewHaven
09 Mar 2011, 22:41
Topic: Need Some Help with Gargano's of Italy/New Haven, CT
Replies: 14
Views: 4559

Re: Need Some Help with Gargano's of Italy/New Haven, C

Patty, I know so many Salvatore's!
This Salvatore Gargano was in his 30's in 1896, he married Luigia, I don't know her maiden name.

I will see if I can find the census. I think they lived on Franklin St.
by PunzoNewHaven
09 Mar 2011, 17:27

Marty, what is all the other writing on the birth certificate, someone told me about the foundling wheel, but there is a lot of writing. No matter how I enlarge or lighten it I can't get enough to get it into a translator. Does it have any details? It also has his birthdate 4 days before the one Cat...
by PunzoNewHaven
09 Mar 2011, 17:24

Marty, I didn't think of it that way, maybe the Gargano's knew about him? I will write to them, with the stamps! :) And see what they have on Gargano. I don't see where Punzo fits into Gargano, in the earlier census in the US they had him listed as Catello Gargano, one Cargano (transcription error) ...
by PunzoNewHaven
09 Mar 2011, 17:21

HI Patty, Luigia married Salvatore Gargano, they were already here with their own family. Salvatore Punzo is my grandfather, the Gargano's didn't take him in, they took in Catello and Frank Airone. Catello named my grandfather after Salvatore Gargano. Though my grandfather, Sal did marry a Louise, i...
by PunzoNewHaven
09 Mar 2011, 13:51

Adoptions in Italy

Thank you to one of the pros I found out my ggf was orphaned in Italy, anyone know how to find out how he got the surname he did or how to find out where he was from the time he was born until he was 12 when he came over? Would an orphanage send him to America or would he had to have been with a fam...
by PunzoNewHaven
09 Mar 2011, 13:49

Wow! Do you know the names of any of Salvatore's children? Those I can get. I know he took in my ggf and another young man named Francis Airone from Italy. My ggf named my gf Salvatore after Gargano and his other son Francis after Frank Airone. I have been trying to find where the Gargano's went fro...
by PunzoNewHaven
08 Mar 2011, 22:41

Hi Patty, They are probably related? The Gargano's I am looking for are Salvatore and Luigia (Louisa?) from New Haven. I am having a very hard time finding them or any decendents. The pros on here are so awesome, I bet they will help you find them! Salvatore took in my ggf when he was 12 in 1896 so ...