Search found 66 matches

by 113yearslater
10 Apr 2015, 00:36
Forum: Genetic genealogy
Topic: Asia Minor DNA
Replies: 19
Views: 46100

Re: Asia Minor DNA

This is the thing with these DNA tests, though -- they are all guesses. What does it even mean ot have X percent "Asia Minor DNA" when someone from Asia Minor is probably looking at their results going, "How did I wind up with Y percent East Asian?" We're ALL mixes. Humans have b...
by 113yearslater
27 Mar 2015, 21:18
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Immigrant musicians from Viggiano/Marsicovetere
Replies: 3
Views: 5211

Immigrant musicians from Viggiano/Marsicovetere

I found this really cool article about immigrants to Australia from these towns and others in the area, and how they brought their music with them, especially the violin and folk instruments like the harp. It also talks about how they transitioned from street musicians playing popular and folk tunes...
by 113yearslater
26 Mar 2015, 18:01
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Ital-Am museum in NYC evicting someone?!
Replies: 5
Views: 15635

Re: Ital-Am museum in NYC evicting someone?!

Well, their Facebook page is quite the sight lately -- a solid wall of people telling them to show Mrs. Sarno some respect and stop bringing shame on our community. I hope they listen ...
by 113yearslater
26 Mar 2015, 17:21
Topic: Ital-Am museum in NYC evicting someone?!
Replies: 5
Views: 15635

Ital-Am museum in NYC evicting someone?!

This is crazy: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/nyregion/in-little-italy-an-eviction-fight-with-a-curious-twist.html I'm sorry, but this woman is freaking 85. Leave her alone in her own home. If this stupid museum wants to reflect our culture, they aren't doing a good job of it by throwing an old w...
by 113yearslater
17 Mar 2015, 22:46
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: I always find this forum amusing :-)
Replies: 1
Views: 5292

I always find this forum amusing :-)

Not for any nefarious reasons, just because I always come in here and find ... genealogy questions. "We don't only do Italian genealogy! Oh wait a minute, actually we do."

We just love it! :D
by 113yearslater
26 Feb 2015, 18:59
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Ferdinando di Scipio Death
Views: 1413

Re: Ferdinando di Scipio Death

December 28, 1814 (I think, although it seems strange to me that they used printed forms that far back), Ciro Santoro (28 years old) and Domenico Suaro (33 years old), both manual laborers, came in to report that at 10am on that day, Ferdinando di Scipio died at the age of 60. Ferdinando's parents w...
by 113yearslater
18 Feb 2015, 02:52
Topic: Is Charles a common Anglo name for Angelo?
Replies: 7
Views: 23460

Re: Is Charles a common Anglo name for Angelo?

Aniceto is a great name - named after the old main god of the Marsicans in the pre-roman, early roman times. Agreed -- my g-gf was an awesome guy. :-) Doesn't the name mean "invincible?" My mom's told great stories about her grandparents. Apparently, my g-gm was a looker when she was youn...
by 113yearslater
13 Feb 2015, 00:46
Topic: Cipriano, Maria Rosa Birth Assistance
Replies: 4
Views: 1863

Re: Cipriano, Maria Rosa Birth Assistance

1875, 11th of May, at 8:50AM in the city hall before Federico Testa of the many big titles in Frigento, appeared Francesco Saverio Cipriano, a 32-year old farmer living in Frigento who told me that at 10:20PM on the tenth day of the current month (May 10th, the day before) in house #8 on another str...
by 113yearslater
13 Feb 2015, 00:38
Topic: Cipriano, Marciano Birth Assistance
Views: 2776

Re: Cipriano, Marciano Birth Assistance

dmurphy1940 wrote:Thanks, 113, and Erudita! I still have lots to learn. :wink:
You'll get better at it. The language is very predictable. The worst part is when you encounter faded ink or fire/water damage. :x
by 113yearslater
12 Feb 2015, 01:51
Topic: Cipriano, Marciano Birth Assistance
Views: 2776

Re: Cipriano, Marciano Birth Assistance

1900 first day of February (first is "Primo") at 10:10AM before Federico Testa (lots of big-wig titles) in Frigento appeared Giuseppe Cipriano, 55-year old farmer, living in Frigento, who told him that at 6:30PM on the 30th of the previous month at house #13 on some street I can't make out...
by 113yearslater
10 Feb 2015, 02:52
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Mario Cuomo, Obituary
Replies: 2
Views: 4998

Re: Mario Cuomo, Obituary

Damn. Hadn't seen this. A real loss. :-(
by 113yearslater
05 Feb 2015, 01:18
Topic: Is Charles a common Anglo name for Angelo?
Views: 23460

Re: Is Charles a common Anglo name for Angelo?

It could just have been a personal decision -- my great-grandfather's first name was Aniceto, and his coworkers called him Harry. He called himself Harry as well -- he hated his first name.
by 113yearslater
18 Dec 2014, 19:15
Topic: Can't make out a profession
Views: 2196

Re: Can't make out a profession

Lovely -- thank you! Hopefully someone will chime in who recognizes that name. :-) Hm, I went to the gensinfo site and found "Tinaro" there and in that area: http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo-viaggi-e-tradizioni-italia?cognome=tinaro&x=0&y=0#.VJMajECGCE That could be it. It's ...
by 113yearslater
18 Dec 2014, 18:47
Topic: Can't make out a profession
Views: 2196

Can't make out a profession

Hello to all! I've got a marriage record for what appears to be an excellent candidate for my great-grandmother's parents, although I can't be certain. I'm having a terrible time making out the groom's profession, though: https://113yearslater.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/image.jpg Luigi and his fath...
by 113yearslater
05 Sep 2014, 23:52
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: So Ellis Island's online database interface is totally hosed
Views: 2204

So Ellis Island's online database interface is totally hosed

*sigh* FamilySearch and Steven Morse's search at JewishGen are BOTH throwing 404s all over the place, and the Ellis webpage's results are so clunky and useless that it strains belief. It's so bad that at this point, I'm wondering if the whole thing isn't going to be disappearing behind an Ancestry p...