Search found 10 matches

by StephanieK
01 Aug 2014, 21:40
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Davito Gara
Replies: 18
Views: 3861

Re: Davito Gara

Discovered that Luigi Davito Gara had one brother, Giovanni, and 3 sisters, Marietta, Gianna and Cristina...with father being Michele. It is also my understanding that in Italian culture it is customary for a male child to be named for their grandfather. So Michele's father should be Giovanni, im gu...
by StephanieK
01 Aug 2014, 16:31

ship called Le Bartange similar name: La Bretagne ship just 1 trip in Jan 1894 Sailing from Havre-Date of Arrival Jan 22, 1894 http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/mm.htm?back=http%3A%2F%2Fstevemorse.org%2Fcgi-bin%2Fboat.php%3Fseries%3D%26rollStart%3D%26rollEnd%3D%26volumeStart%3D%26volumeEnd%3D%26monthSta...
by StephanieK
01 Aug 2014, 02:46
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: orphans
Replies: 1
Views: 1793

orphans

How would one go about finding a family an orphan was placed with? Family name was Davito Gara in Roca Cse. Around 1860..they took in a young boy who later immigrated to the United states. No idea what the boys name was. Family had a son named Luigi Davito Gara with possible father Michel, sister Cr...
by StephanieK
01 Aug 2014, 01:35

I found something else that might be a piece of the puzzle. I've tried searching this ship at Havre near this year and I'm not having much luck. I do find a ship called Le Bartange.. I'm wondering if that's the correct one. I do believe he is not Serafino due to port of departure. He states in decla...
by StephanieK
31 Jul 2014, 20:06

adelfio wrote:Related info click on prompt
http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/itali ... logy/21616

Marty

THANK YOU Marty!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
by StephanieK
31 Jul 2014, 12:46

I found that also. How do I confirm that it is him? How do I track down the Italian family? I would like to find the Davito Gara family. I would like to know for sure if Serafino Concordia was the man that lived with the Davito Garas. Thank you so much for your help.
by StephanieK
31 Jul 2014, 12:06

Yes that is my grandfather in the census. Coal miners could not say his Italian name so they called him Joe Sefeno or Steve Concord. He went by Joe Sefeno until later in his life he changed the name back to Steve Concord. Very frustrating. So many years of searching.
by StephanieK
31 Jul 2014, 11:39

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Luigi Davito Gara Name: Luigi Davito Gara Arrival Date: 22 Mar 1908 Birth Date: abt 1891 Birth Location: Italy Birth Location Other: rocc cse Age: 17 Gender: Male Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian) Port of Departure: Havre Port of Arrival: Ne...
by StephanieK
31 Jul 2014, 11:35

Below are my grandfathers Alabama marriage license with what I gather is the closest thing to his Italian name but remember he could not read or write so it was written by the court clerk so that person did the best they could with a foreign name. Also below is the passengers list for Luigi who my g...
by StephanieK
31 Jul 2014, 11:10

Davito Gara

It has been 7 years since I posted. I have since found Passenger list papers for Luigi Davito Gara who followed my grandfather from Italy. In Turin, my grandfather was orphaned and went to live with the Davito Gara family. My grandfather spoke no English and could not read or write. I need to find h...