Military Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Military Records

Post by carmine1917 »

Does anyone know if military records have been scanned and where these can be found?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Military Records

Post by johnnyonthespot »

micheles wrote:Does anyone know if military records have been scanned and where these can be found?
I do not believe so.

Military records are availabe at very little cost (typically just a few euros) and generally quite quickly (a few weeks turnaround time) from the state archives covering the comune in which the person was born (we are referring to Italian records, correct?).

This thread discusses how to request military records: http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... c/t=15162/

In what comune was your ancestor born?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

records are available from FHC. After ordering some, I realized that they go by year of birth, not years served.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

To look them up on microfilm do you also have to know what town they are born in? How do you request the right film?

Alicia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I remember reading that if you do not know the name of a town, provincial records can identify a mans birthplace. Even if you know only the region you can check the records of all the military districts within the region BUT I also remember seeing a response from the Archivio di Stato in some province whose name I cannot recall advise:
"We cannot locate any military records without knowing the birthplace of the person for the conscription records youy are seeking......"

I interpret this to mean that they adminstratively require a place of birth so that any effort they make to locate the military record is based upon a specific comune for efficiency and economy of effort. =Peter=
~Peter~
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thats actually what the Italian archives told me too but I was hoping there was a way around it being I cant find a birth town. Oh well.

Alicia
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

Alicia, how come you can not find the town of birth?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Its not on my great grandfathers manifest. Also he didnt naturalize or fill out a WWI draft card. Also, its not on a census, death certificate, I cant find a marriage certificate, even the funeral home and cemetery dont have it. On all the documents it says "Italy" Its an absolute mess and probably going to be the one reason I cant apply for dual citizenship!

Alicia
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

What about relatives, or other people on the manifest?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Nothing...he came here alone and single and I have no lead on family he might of met here. All I have is a last place of residence of "napoli" on his manifest. But he was 30 when he came here so I doubt thats where he was born.

Alicia
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

No, do not give up. Tell us, I say us, as this forum is full of info, have you asked this forum info. What do you know, When did he come? Have u seen the census? Where did he live? etc
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Oh if you only knew. I am on the forum everyday.EVERY DAY! For hours! This has become a full time job for me and I have searched out every single outlet. The people on this forum have gotten me so very far and have also hit a brick wall with me.They are wonderful here. But my family tree is just too complicated. I have put my haert and soul into this, hours a day, day after day and there is no where else to turn. Even professional genealogists wont answer me! My father died a few months ago and he was only 55. It devastated me and still does.This distracts me and keeps my mind busy but its a dead end now.

Alicia
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

my father died a few months ago, he had a slow death the past 2 years it was why i started to do his family tree. I know exactly how you feel!!!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

My condolences. My fathers death was sudden. Actually cardiac arrest. He was very healthy and full of life. But it turns out he had heart disease but didnt know it. He mowed his lawn and that was it. It was a shock and very unexpected. Ive done my family tree for years but work on it mainly for dual citizenship and also to distract my self from the truth. What is your name?

Alicia
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

I can't send you a private message for some reason. I know doing this research brought my father great happiness!!

Have you gone to your local Family History Center? Start ordering records from there. I have done this and had great success!!!

My father suffered a massive stroke 18 years ago, he was not expected to live the night, he did, and was partially paralyzed. I am not sure what is worst, a sudden death, or watch 18 years of his suffering. There is no answer. I am sorry for your loss, and know your pain, on the 8th he will be dead for 6 months.