Translations of family Italian birth, death, marriage record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
pansy1219

Translations of family Italian birth, death, marriage record

Post by pansy1219 »

I'm confused how to get around this site. I'll give it a shot though.
I was wondering how to get translations of my documents. I'm stuck and cant move forward unless I can understand what's in the documents.
Thank you. pansy
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Translations of family Italian birth, death, marriage re

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Pansy,

Welcome to the forum. :)

If you upload the documents to an image hosting site such as photobucket.com (a free site) it will provide you with a link to attach to your posting so that everyone can see it.
This forum has some excellent translators who would love to help you on your journey.

Good luck.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
pansy1219

Post by pansy1219 »

oilman19 wrote:Hi Pansy,

Welcome to the forum. :)

If you upload the documents to an image hosting site such as photobucket.com (a free site) it will provide you with a link to attach to your posting so that everyone can see it.
This forum has some excellent translators who would love to help you on your journey.

Good luck.

Jim
pansy1219

Post by pansy1219 »

Dear Jim,
Is there any other way to send my Italian documents. I don't know what I'm doing. I checked out photobucket and it's way over my head.
Thanks
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Pansy

Unfortunately, you will need an image hosting service in order to get the image onto the forum. Large attachments don't work. I have had to teach myself how to use one.
You will need to create a log on name and password to use photo bucket.
Once on your home page, you can click on "upload images and videos".
You can then browse your computer (like you would when sending attachments) to find the record you wish to send to Photo bucket. Once you click on the document, then click "open", you will see it uploading to your Photo bucket file. Once that is completed, click "save" button. You will see your image with some linking options directly beneath it. I left click on "direct link", then right click on this highlighted box, then, on the drop down list, left click on 'copy" (if you have ever done any copy and paste in Word, this is the easy part), then on your thread in the forum simply right click and hit "paste". Once you have completed your entry on your thread and hit "submit", anyone who clicks on the link you just created can see your image and help you out.
I don't know any other way to get your image on the forum. Once you have done it successfully, it does get easier. You will leave that image on your home page on photo bucket for as long as you think it has a value on the forum. If you delete it, the link no longer works. Photo bucket provides you a large file capacity, so you are not likely to fill it any time soon.
Note: there is also Image shack, which I have never used, but many people on the forum do. I can't tell you if it is any easier. There are many on the forum who are much more proficient than I am when it comes to attaching links.
Do a little trial and error. We won't let you fail. Someone will always be able to guide you through a problem. :)
Good luck.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

If photobucket seems a little intimidating try www.imageshack.com
No need to register or open an account...

I find it easier to use :-)

Click "Media Upload"
Click "browse" to find and open your document.
Click "upload" to put into imageshack
Then COPY the DIRECT LINK to paste into the forum...

Good luck :-D

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi T. :D

Thanks for the assist.
I might consider trying image shack myself. :)

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim :-D

Glad to help...

I switched from photobucket to imageshack because I found it to be easier (and you don't have to sign up with an account)...

ALWAYS looking for a simpler way :-)

T.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

For me the best site for hosting is postimage: http://www.postimage.org/ easy to use and, above all, no annoying pop-ups.

L.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Thanks Luca :-)

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I tried it on my last post, but the image was too small. Maybe I did something wrong.

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looks like there is a "drop-down" to choose size of the image...

T. :-)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I saw that and selected the size recommended for a forum. I have to admit I was confused as to which size to choose.

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Give www.imageshack.com a try...you may like it :-)

T.
pansy1219

Post by pansy1219 »

Ok, I can't believe it, but I tried imageshack. It looks like a uploaded the Italian documents successfully. NOW, how do I get them to you.
Pansy