Putting title in front of name

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Putting title in front of name

Post by Mardi »

Hoping someone will answer a question for me:

I am doing my family Genealogy and come across some Ancestors have become Doctors or Professors, is it necessary to put their title in front of their name on the Family Tree?

Appreciate any help or comment.

Mardi
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Putting title in front of name

Post by erudita74 »

Mardi wrote:Hoping someone will answer a question for me:

I am doing my family Genealogy and come across some Ancestors have become Doctors or Professors, is it necessary to put their title in front of their name on the Family Tree?

Appreciate any help or comment.

Mardi
Mardi
I don't think you should ever type the title in front of the name in your family tree software. If that is done, then In my family tree program, the name gets alphabetized according to the title and not according to the first letter of the surname. In my version of FTM, you go to edit and then to "manage facts." When you select the "manage facts" option, you can then scroll down to the word "title." Then you can type in the person's title. Doing this, however, does not place the title in front of the person's name, and the individual is still found in the index under the first letter of his/her surname. So I have, for example, a Don Alessandro Colangelo, who was a priest. Under the category of Individual and shared facts in my program, the first line is his first and last names. The next line is his sex. The third line is title and then next to that I have the word Don. Then there is a the category "individual facts" under which the first line is his birth info and the second line is his death info. There is no marriage info for this individual, as he was a priest.
The information concerning the title, and the fact that he was a priest, I then also add in the notes section at the bottom of this screen. The only thing I don't see his title showing up in a chart but there may be an option for adding it there.
Erudita
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Thank you for the information, was very helpful.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Mardi wrote:Thank you for the information, was very helpful.
You're very welcome, Mardi
Erudita