Burial locations in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Burial locations in Italy

Post by chrisdamato »

How do I find out where each of my ancestors are buried? Do the town death records indicate which cemeteries they are buried in?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Burial locations in Italy

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Chris,

If they died more than a few decades ago, they may not be burried any longer at all (in the American sense of the word).

See these threads:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... c/t=10892/

http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... rt=12.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Italian state civil records do not give cemetery information. If your ancestors are from a small town, there is probably only one cemetery in the town and the caretaker may be in the town's municipal bldg, or town hall. So best to contact the town hall in your ancestral town for specific info. Also, as in the above post, burials in Italy are not like those in the U.S. After so many years, the bones of the deceased are removed to make room for the newly deceased. These may be wrapped and buried in the same niche as the newly deceased, on top of its coffin, or placed in a communal grave in the cemetery, if there is no room.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

So they may no longer be there at all. That's very sad. Hopefully, they were wealthy enough to be able to continue renting the plots. Being that they were all from Laurenzana, I should contact the town hall directly???
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

One other question - how would I go about finding out what the last known address was for an ancestor? I was thinking perhaps that it would be nice to see where they actually lived before they died.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

If your Italian town has microfilmed state civil death records for the ancestor(s) to which you are referring, there usually is an address for the house in which the person died, which may or may not be the house in which that person lived. Often the record will state that the death took place in the person's own habitation. However, for some of these houses, there is only a street name given and not a specific house number.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Try the ANAGRAFE (census) office for the address. You never mentioned the town name so I cannot assist you any further. Peter
~Peter~
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bette »

Once you find the name of the street in Laurenzana, you could try Google Earth. I've seen aerial views of other towns and old maps as well. Be aware though that very often some street names have changed from the old days. On one side of my family, there was "urban renewal" and the house no longer exists. Yet on the other side of my family, I have both old and new photographs of the house that my grandmother lived in. A great find!