Looking for translation of marriage please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Looking for translation of marriage please

Post by lyn1982 »

I would like a translation of Carmela Imbro's marriage please. It's the record on the left.
Attachments
31600_208287-01267.jpg
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Looking for translation of marriage please

Post by darkerhorse »

Here's a crack at the basics. They both may be middle to upper class, although no honorific titles are used.

July 28, 1883. Alfonso Trupia, age 24, civil servant, born in Porto Empedocle, resident in Porto Empedocle, son of Giuseppe, resident in Porto Empedocle, and of Maria Annunciata Grech??? resident in Porto Empedocle, and Carmela Imbro, age 20, landowner, born in Porto Empedocle, resident in Porto Empedocle, daughter of deceased Alfonso, resident in life in Porto Empedocle, and of deceased Caterina Frudella, resident in life in Porto Empedocle.
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Post by lyn1982 »

Thank you!

I think surname should be Fradella. That pops up in many of my matches. I just gotta find if these match back to the ancestors that keep popping up in my matches. Then I'll find either my great grandfathers parents or at this point I'm wondering if I have a break and he's not my ggf.

This is second time I saw a Fradulla/Imbro marriage and the previous one I found I kept getting dna hits on the lines but the couple was too young to be my ggf's grandparents.

Why do you think the couple in this record is middle to upper middle class?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I'm not certain of the spellings, so Fradella may very well be correct.

He's a civil servant and she's a landowner. In Sicily, at least in my family's rural town, most were uneducated peasants, shepherds, farmers, etc.
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Post by lyn1982 »

Ah good point!

I've come across a lot of landowners in mine - I actually thought it was just a nice way to say homemaker cause seems a lot of the woman were land owners.

Any idea how a women would come to own land in those days?

I don't think I've had a single farmer in my ancestry.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I guess possidente can mean either proprietor or landowner.

Looks like civile can also mean landowner. I thought it meant worked in civil service.

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic/30797

My frame of reference is rural Sicily where any of the above occupational meanings would be middle class, at least in my family.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I've never seen a woman in my family identified as a landowner in a civil record but I have seen one woman referred to as "Donna" and her husband as "Don". He was a possidente, so was her father.