re:atto di matrimoni palermo sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

re:atto di matrimoni palermo sicily

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

marriage for salvatore landino and maria novara palermo 1865. any help most appreciated.
parkergambino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: re:atto di matrimoni palermo sicily

Post by parkergambino »

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 03/0A1A1j9

Near the top of p. 366, a Salvatore Landino marries Concetta Novara - perhaps the union you seek - "Maria Concetta" is a reasonably common combination, and she may have gone by "Concetta".

The way I would search this is to find the children of this union and hope that the actual marriage doc is among the processetti for their marriages. I'm sorry to not have time to do this search.

Parker
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thank you. i've seen this page before. its the index. the correct one. maria concetta novara. as palermo is a large city its very time consuming to track down such a marriage. i believe its broken down by sections. salvatore landino first married rosalia mancuso in palermo in 1839. she died in 1865 and within months he remarried concetta,20 years younger. in 1869 they left for new york where they had several children -he had several by his first wife rosalia in the same age range as his second wife. may have had some in palermo before they left and i know he had others in new york. he died in new york in 1884 after a violent altercation with his wife. he evidently assaulted her and was apprehended by police. on the way to the police station he drank a vile of poison and died. news story that appears in the internet archives. you can view it. new york times in july 1884. strange story.
parkergambino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by parkergambino »

So it seems that this marriage document is not so much the brick wall keeping you from earlier ancestors, but is something you want to get your hands on.

Apparently, a lot of Palermo records are just not available on line. And sorry to sound discouraging, it has also been noted elsewhere that Palermo officialdom is not a great responder to requests.

There were a few threads a while back where some items were found in Palermo's "Reunite" section of Antenati's records; this is not a geographic location, just a bin where various miscellaneous records were dumped. Perhaps worth pursuing.

Let us know if this is something you have already investigated, or need links to the thread. Again, I'm short on time these days, can't work on this too much.

Parker
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i'm pretty much done with my genealogical research. over 20 years. back then very little online. mostly films at the fhl libraries. scrolling and copying. the old school. this isn't my direct line with this second marriage. just killing time. this is my paternal grandmothers line her grandfather salvatore. messina and palermo. my paternal grandfather was avellino near naples. best i could do was civil records on both lines. campania (avellino) began in 1809 and sicily (messina and palermo) in 1820.barely 200 years. only brought me back to my 2nd great grandparents. before that its parish records. unless you know the parish,and it even still exists,its impossible to get any response. priests over worked as well. i hear these success stories with researchers going back into the 1500s and 1600s. no idea how they do it as i can't get back before the early 1800s. on the reverse. my mothers french canadian lines. went back through 10-12 generations. canada and into france,the drouin films online at ancestry cover births marriages deaths going back from the 1940s to the early 1600s with the first colonists, the civil records in quebec are duplicates of the church records which is much better than the way records are in italy,with separation of church and civil records. 10-12 generations through canada into france vs 3-3 at best in italy.