Assist finding birth record - name changed w/adoption

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Blondy28

Assist finding birth record - name changed w/adoption

Post by Blondy28 »

My grandfather was born on October 19, 1907 in Borgetto. He was adopted, but not at birth, and we don't know his birth name. His name after adoption was Vito Petruso. My son has sent a letter to Social Security to see if his parents (birth or adoptive) were named on his paperwork when he arrived in America. Any other recommendations on how to track this down?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Assist finding birth record - name changed w/adoption

Post by Italysearcher »

Adoption wasn't legal in those years. If Petruso is the surname of his foster father and they brought him to America then search for a ship manifest. It should show the 'real' name of your Grandfather.
There are several towns with Borghetto as the first part. Google 'Comune di Borghetto' and try to figure out which one you need to contact.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I just searched Ellis Island and although Vito Petruso comes up the manifest page is mismatched.
This was his original birth name assigned by the clerk at registration.
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Blondy28

Post by Blondy28 »

Italysearcher wrote: 04 May 2024, 14:01 Adoption wasn't legal in those years. If Petruso is the surname of his foster father and they brought him to America then search for a ship manifest. It should show the 'real' name of your Grandfather.
There are several towns with Borghetto as the first part. Google 'Comune di Borghetto' and try to figure out which one you need to contact.

My aunt is in town...haven't seen her in about 20 years. She was second oldest (my dad is youngest), so she had more information. Although my grandmother came in through Ellis Island, my grandfather stowed away on a ship to Canada and entered the country illegally. Immigration kept threatening to deport him, but they ultimately said that they would let him stay if he joined the military. He went through boot camp, but they decided he could support the war better here, because he did shoe repair, so he was discharged. He had to move to Canada for 2 years and re-enter legally. He became a citizen in 1965. I don't think anyone from his family was on the ship with him.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Entry to the USA from Canada can also be found on Ellis Island and on Family Search.
Ann Tatangelo