help determining if 2 people knew each other in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

help determining if 2 people knew each other in Italy

Post by lyn1982 »

I know this is an odd request. But I would like help in determining just that 2 families in Sicily, specifically Cerda, knew each other - like perhaps some way to determine that they were neighbors or even friends? Is there any way to do this? Some sort of census perhaps?

I have this dna match whose ancestors lived in Niagara Falls, where my grandmother was born. This is their ancestors marriage record. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:246Z-49X

The husband's family comes from Cerda (I know it says Cerola, but I'm thinking they mistranscribed it).

The wife's family comes from Agrigento which I have all this dna cluster from, which this match is also a part of. I match their 2 first cousins too so I know I relate to them on their Agrigento line not their Cerda line (well unless I somehow relate on both).

My thinking is if I can determine my great grandmother knew the Cerda ancestor of this match - maybe that leads credibility to her later meeting a cousin or brother of the wives and that could be who fathered my grandmother.

The ancestors I am looking to determine knew each other are my great grandmother Josephine Congelosi born MAY 25, 1897. I have her birth here, but not sure if it mentions what house, I know a few birth records seem to. bottom right, https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613 She had several siblings but only other one I have a birth record for is her brother Battista: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

The one I am trying to figure out if she knew is the Rosalino Faso, maybe spelled Fusco or Fasso? born Feb 15, 1886. Or if her family knew his. I don't have his birth certificate, but if Josephine's mentions a house I can try and find it. I think he had a brother Vincenzo, born 14 March 1887, and another brother Dominico born 29 Jun 1875 both born in Cerda. But those may be cousins. I just know they're also Faso's who came from Cerda and lived in Niagara Falls. They stayed there unlike Rosalino.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: help determining if 2 people knew each other in Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

What I am reading in the birth act of Giuseppa Cangelosi is that she was born in her parents' home in Via Saverino.

And here is the birth act of Rosolino FASO...
Born in Cerda in 1886 - Same parents as listed on the marriage record you posted - Giuseppe Faso and Gaetana Muscarella
Birth in their home in Cerda in Via Nuova.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

T.
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Post by lyn1982 »

Thank you so much!

I have no idea about Cerda locations - but I'm to assume Via Nuova and Via Saverino are not streets but sections and not near each other?

Seems I'll have to go another avenue to try and determine the families knew each other.
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Post by lyn1982 »

Tessa78 wrote: 05 May 2024, 16:45 What I am reading in the birth act of Giuseppa Cangelosi is that she was born in her parents' home in Via Saverino.

And here is the birth act of Rosolino FASO...
Born in Cerda in 1886 - Same parents as listed on the marriage record you posted - Giuseppe Faso and Gaetana Muscarella
Birth in their home in Cerda in Via Nuova.

T.

Ok I google mapped it and came up with this. So they would surely have known each other right? This is very close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

You could search for marriages between the families.

You also could keep take note if a person from one family is listed as reporting or witnessing a birth, death, or marriage on records for the other family.

But, of course, that's a lot of work.

I've come upon such connections by chance while reading records.
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Post by lyn1982 »

darkerhorse wrote: 05 May 2024, 18:49 You could search for marriages between the families.

You also could keep take note if a person from one family is listed as reporting or witnessing a birth, death, or marriage on records for the other family.

But, of course, that's a lot of work.

I've come upon such connections by chance while reading records.
Thanks.

I've actually spent the past few hours searching records and I hit gold! I think, anyway.

I believe I found my great grandmother Josephine's uncle's wife's parents living with someone in the Marino family

Josephine's uncle is Carmelo Battaglia. Carmelo married Francesca DeFranco,. Francesa's parents according to an ancestry tree I found (so unconfirmed) are
Pasquale DeFranco and Maria Fusco. Could Fusco and Fasso be the same surname, perhaps one mistranscribed? I know on Rosolino's marriage it is transcribed as Fusco. I'll have to take a look at his birth record which Tessa kindly linked. Maybe it was Fusco and became Fasso after immigrating. It's odd that his family would keep the original surname though and he would change his.

This is the census record with a Marino. He is listed as brother in law. The parents son is listed as head of household. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M5HV-VW6

Unfortunately these names, Antonino Marino and Felice Marino, both listed as brother-in-laws, I am unsure how they relate to the Marino's that I dna match with. I checked the other 2 known daughters of Paschalo Defranco and Mary Defranco on ancestry, 1 died before marrying age and the other married a Zabaldo. Having a bit of trouble finding anything else on this Antonino - it appears to be a very common name. Not sure the best course of action, perhaps I should just try to find if an Antonino was born about 1891 and a Felicio born about 1883 to same parents as Rosolino. But could be a cousin too. The match is only 34cm so it could be distant. Also they are both listed as single - so I'm confused as to how they're brother-in-laws. Plus Fusco isn't the surname that whoeever they would have married would have, it would be Defranco since Fusco is the wives surname. I'm very confused.

More oddly though...I seem to have dna matches further back to these Defranco's that don't seem to connect to the branch on mine that married into the family.
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Post by lyn1982 »

I have Rosolinos's brothers down as Dominic Faso
BIRTH ABT 1877 • Italy DEATH 1972 • Niagara fall ny and vincenzo Fasso
BIRTH 1887 • Cerda, Palermo, Sicilia, Italy
DEATH 30 OCTOBER 1964 • Niagara Falls, Niagara County.

But maybe he had more.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The surname is FASO.

Here is the marriage of Rosolino's parents - Giuseppe Faso and Gaetana Muscarella in 1873 in Cerda..
#15 (bottom right)

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Tessa78 wrote: 06 May 2024, 14:00 The surname is FASO.

Here is the marriage of Rosolino's parents - Giuseppe Faso and Gaetana Muscarella in 1873 in Cerda..
#15 (bottom right)

T.
T
This record was already posted under the translation section by Lyn with the surname misspelled as Fasso. I translated the record earlier with the surname spelled correctly.
Erudita
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Post by lyn1982 »

Tessa78 wrote: 06 May 2024, 14:00 The surname is FASO.

#15 (bottom right)

T.
Thanks. Had found that actually. Unfortunately not finding any connection between them and the Fuscos who married into my family, 1 of whom married a Marino. I guess it must just be a coinsidence. Still, seems odd this family settled in same town as mine, with 1 side from Agrigento where all my mystery dna matches are from, and the other from Cerda where my great grandmothers family are from. But the match is only 34cm so I don't know, that could be a 5th cousin or further. I may have to hold out and hope a closer match tests. Honestly don't think I can figure this out without a match whose at least a 3rd cousin on that line.