Carpathia crew manifest help please?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Carpathia crew manifest help please?

Post by mfjp »

Florida Passenger Lists, 1898-1951 Record
about Giovanni Cergnul
Name: Giovanni Cergnul
Arrival Date: 7 Oct 1914
Birth Date: abt 1894
Nationality/Race: Croatian
Ship: Borneo
Port of Departure: Fiume, Austria
Port of Arrival: Tampa, Florida
Last Residence: Austria
Birth Location: Austria
Birth Location Other: Albana
Microfilm Roll Number: m1844_17
Page: 015
Line Number: 5

As promised, here's a list of the crewmen that Giovanni Cergnul traveled with... mainly Croatian...

Lizzul (sp?) Andrea age 28
Marcenic Giueseppe age 41
Lizzul Antonio age 21
Pagnaco Pietro - 22
Cergnul Giovanni -20
Palaic Giovanni -27
Stroligo Francesco -27
Zeobresich Giuseppe -19
Babu (Babil?) Martin -21
Mohovic Giovanni -19
Kos Giovanni -18
Vretenac (?) Giuseppe -21
Autclich (sp?) Giuseppe -31
Sternberger Giuseppe -20
Bozalin Simone -27

If you see a person of interest from this list, let me know, I will give you the manifest details.

Maria :P
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Hello Everyone,

Maria thank you for posting those names for me, I will ask around and see if I can come up with anything.

I wish that we could find out about Dominic Miculian (sp) , if we could find him listed somewhere in 1913 than maybe Giovanni would not be far from him. For any of you that did not look at the document with his name on it here it is. His name is in the bottom right hand corner. It is pretty hard to make out.

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/6366/scan1bc4.jpg

Also here is the record of arrival paper that I recieved when I ordered hi Naturalization papers.

http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/5854 ... valpq9.jpg

Did crew members not get put on the same manifests as the passengers? I would just think that if he applied to be a citizen and he filled out these papers in order to help locate his record of arrival and they found one, than why can't we? The ROA that I posted above says that the located him on the manifest that me and Maria have both gone through page by page at least 10 times.

The manifest for Florida in 1914 that Maria posted above, looks like it is him. Almost everything about him is the same the height is only off by a couple of inches and I can not confirm whether or not he had a tattoo or a sister named Maria. The sister named Maria is a good possiblity because when his brother had kids he named one of his daughters Maria. I am very much leaning towards this record but I want my research to be as correct as possible. I just wish that someone would remember the tattoo.

My Aunt Liela had said that she thought her father (John) was a Merchant Marine, does anybody know what this is?

Thank you all for all your help!!!

Kristina
I hope that my linking worked, I never know what one the copy and paste they give you a bunch of different ones to choose from.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

mfjp wrote:
mfjp wrote:Here's an interesting document....

At the bottom right... you will see the name Dominic Miculian (other records show as Mikulian)... this is the person John (Giovanni) Cergnul claims to have travelled with on Nov. 1913 on the Carpathia.

Any volunteers to re-check??

Certificate of Arrival

Please note that from what I can see, the Mikulian (Miculian), Cergnul, Martinich were all connected somehow...

Any help from anyone would be appreciated...

Thank you Kristina for your wonderful recap!

Maria
Found a Dominik Mikulian Manifest -page 1

First Name: Dominik
Last Name: Mikulan
Ethnicity: Russia, Lithuanian
Last Place of Residence: Chicago, Ill
Date of Arrival: May 18, 1911
Age at Arrival: 36y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Pennsylvania
Port of Departure: Hamburg
Manifest Line Number: 0010

Maria

Not sure who he is yet.... further review is required..
also check out spelling here....

First Name: Draga
Last Name: Miculinic
Ethnicity: Hungary, Croatian
Last Place of Residence: Cernik, Croatia
Date of Arrival: May 04, 1913
Age at Arrival: 10y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Carpathia
Port of Departure: Fiume
Manifest Line Number: 0006

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0623010095&

Not sure if you had seen the other Mikulians on page 4 of this post...

Merchant Marine info...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&hs=WZ ... n&ct=title

maria :P
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

My mother was a merchant marine.......believe their training school is in Piney Point on the east coast.......she could sail and work on any ship, and they provide services in times of war as well.
wldspirit

http://www.usmm.org/faq.html
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

cerg wrote:Hello Everyone,

Maria thank you for posting those names for me, I will ask around and see if I can come up with anything.

I wish that we could find out about Dominic Miculian (sp) , if we could find him listed somewhere in 1913 than maybe Giovanni would not be far from him. For any of you that did not look at the document with his name on it here it is. His name is in the bottom right hand corner. It is pretty hard to make out.

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/6366/scan1bc4.jpg

Also here is the record of arrival paper that I recieved when I ordered hi Naturalization papers.

http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/5854 ... valpq9.jpg

Did crew members not get put on the same manifests as the passengers? I would just think that if he applied to be a citizen and he filled out these papers in order to help locate his record of arrival and they found one, than why can't we? The ROA that I posted above says that the located him on the manifest that me and Maria have both gone through page by page at least 10 times.

Kristina
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record
about Dominick Miculian

Name: Dominick Miculian
City: Not Stated
County: Northumberland
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 15 Jan 1880
Race: White
Roll: 1907523
DraftBoard: 3

Person mentioned on this card is Anthony Paranza... who lives on 1045 N Pine St., Shamokin ??

Link to Dominick Miculian WW1 draft info

Maria
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Further... on the surname Mikulian... (Miculian)??

Kristina, maybe you've seen these before??

First Name: Giovanni
Last Name: Mikulian
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Albona, Italy
Date of Arrival: Sep 08, 1920
Age at Arrival: 22y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: America
Port of Departure: Trieste
Manifest Line Number: 0020

Link to Giovanni Mikulian from Albona manifest

Leaves his father Giacomo Mikulian in Albona.... (Italy)

Joining Uncle Giovanni Rudan in Shamokin, USA (1218 West Pine St.)

Don't you wish all manifests were this easily read??
Maria :P
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Hello,

I checked out the records that you posted Maria and I would have to say that the Dominick in Shamokin is a pretty good one, it is spelled just like on the document that I have. Also thank you for the link about the merchant marines it was very informative! I don't know why I did not just look it up on google before... I think sometimes I forget that there is more to the internet than just geneaolgy sites and resources!!

Wldspirit, thank you for the information and the link, there was a couple and addresses and an email address on there I am going to try and email then today and find out which address I should mail to asking if there are any records of him. I hope that is not yet another family story that leads me to a dead end...

I am trying to get all of my information in order before my dad goes to Illinios to spread my grandfather's ashes in Rend Lake. He will be going on the 14th on this month. I guess that I will not have a definite answer to when Giovanni arrived. I am just goingt o include for now the Florida manifest and the papers from the NARA and explain that I am still researching this information.

I was wondering about a program that I am using... Do any of you guys use the family tree program that you can download from the LDS site? I would like to beable to print out all the information that I have put in there... When I print it just prints what i have on the screen at the time. Does anyone know if I can make it print out the family? I am open to using any other program as well.

I hope that I can get this all done in time.

Kristina
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Kristina,

I used to use Gene (for Macintosh computers...) free download software... which was perfect for my needs... drew me a variety of trees.. and was able to handle lots of people...

In time, I hope to try Reunion8 ... (again for Macs)....
---------------------------
I do not use the family tree program from LDS...

Maria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I use Family Tree Maker at the moment. I got the 2005 version for free online and it lets me do quite a bit. There was a 2 week trial when I first downloaded it that offered a lot more options so I'm considering upgrading to the 2006 version for $20. more.

I print several pages out at once. You may want to have a look at it...

You can also do a google search..much easier than listing them all. :lol: :lol:

nuccia :D
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The LDS program....Personal Ancestral File (PAF) is quite good. I have used both it and Family Tree Maker for a long time. The FTM is full of a lot of bells and whistles.

The PAF is a great program and I would recommend it for starters. You can always graduate to a flashy program later and just transfer the info from one to the other via a Gedcom. The PAF program used to be free. If it still is, take advantage. If not, see if there is something comparable at that price point and compare features.

But the PAF will allow you to print out your tree and info and is simple to use. And if it free, hard to beat!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I checked within the last month, and the Lds program was still free.....
easier to use for a beginner than the FTM program......the bells and whistles are nice...but genealogy shouldn't be that complicated.....!!!
wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I agree with both wldspirt and Essgee...it should be easy. I didn't find FTM difficult but it took me a while to figure out all its options...I guess it depends on your level of comfort.

I've never tried the LDS program but so many have suggested it so it must be good.

Lisa, didn't we have a thread going once on different programs? I can't remember the link but I believe you were the original poster. It had a lot of good info in that if I remember correctly. Hopefully you can remember it.

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

We did......but your guess is as good as mine as to where it is...... :?

and I'm still looking for the "perfect" program........

wldspirit
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks vj..

We can always count on you! :D

That was one of my favourite threads..lots of good info.

Lisa will try and link some new sites I was playing with because of that thread. I got really creative on a few things...tried several different sites..some of which you suggested and yes..it makes a difference. :D

nuccia