Cathy asked why Vincenzo was shortened to Jimmy.
As I understand it, the familiar form of Vincenzo is Cenz ("chenz"), which sounds more like James than any other American name.
Donna
Search found 47 matches
- 14 Aug 2008, 17:08
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Italian names?
- Replies: 28
- Views: 30640
- 27 Jun 2008, 19:56
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Submitting your tree to Family Search
- Replies: 2
- Views: 4057
Submitting your tree to Family Search
A friend of mine went to a history fair last weekend, and there was a representative from the Mormon Church set up in a booth at the fair. My friend has been doing a lot of genealogical work on her family tree, so she went over to chat with the representative. She was told something interesting that ...
- 16 May 2008, 00:22
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Surnames in Campodipietra
- Replies: 2
- Views: 6268
Surnames in Campodipietra
I'm following my family line in Campodipietra. Of course, I'm eager to talk to anyone tracking an Albino family in that town. But there are other surnames that show up in my family tree. If you are looking at d'Agata, Antonacci, Barile, Carlone, Cefaratti, Carlozzi, di Luca, de Michele, Geronimo ...
- 28 Apr 2008, 15:33
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Old Wedding Photographs Lost in 1906 S.F. Great Earthquake
- Replies: 4
- Views: 7817
Re: Old Wedding Photographs Lost in 1906 S.F. Great Earthqua
I saw this article online this morning and thought of your search. Glass negatives from that era were found in someone's basement. I hope your missing negatives are found!
Donna
Donna
- 16 Apr 2008, 18:49
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Old Wedding Photographs Lost in 1906 S.F. Great Earthquake
- Replies: 4
- Views: 7817
Re: Old Wedding Photographs Lost in 1906 S.F. Great Earthqua
I should have mentioned this in the earlier reply I gave ... you should know the chances are very very slim that the negatives survive. Negatives were created on thick glass plates in that time period, and they are heavy and fragile and take up a lot of space compared to film negatives we know today ...
- 15 Apr 2008, 18:39
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Old Wedding Photographs Lost in 1906 S.F. Great Earthquake
- Replies: 4
- Views: 7817
Re: Old Wedding Photographs Lost in 1906 S.F. Great Earthqua
Do you know the name of the photographer? If you do, then this link might help you find the negatives.
Good luck!
Donna
Good luck!
Donna
- 30 Jan 2008, 17:51
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Help understanding a wedding record
- Replies: 3
- Views: 6091
Re: Help understanding a wedding record
His wife did die the year before; her last name was Antonacci, so Serpone is not her. I saw that there were children of Domenico/Domenicangelo Albino after her death by two different women, so I was trying to figure out if either of those guys was the one that I had been following that had been ...
- 28 Jan 2008, 18:57
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Help understanding a wedding record
- Replies: 3
- Views: 6091
Help understanding a wedding record
I could use some help in deciphering this record from the LDS microfilm. I've been trying to find Domenicangelo Albino's spouse; in the 1820s, I see births with a Domenico or a Domenicangelo with two different wives, and I was trying to find out which one was the one I should be tracking.
This ...
This ...
- 28 Dec 2007, 21:55
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Help me to find the city in U.S.A. in the background
- Replies: 33
- Views: 31624
Re: Help me to find the city in U.S.A. in the background
I think that is a painted studio backdrop and isn't a real city.
Donna
Donna
- 26 Nov 2007, 20:18
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Italian to American names
- Replies: 15
- Views: 20023
Re: Italian to American names
I've been told that Vincenzo is Americanized to James because the familiar form of Vincenzo, Cenz, sounds something like James.
Donna
Donna
- 26 Oct 2007, 21:48
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Italian Americans in Connecticut, 1942
- Replies: 36
- Views: 39904
Re: Italian Americans in Connecticut, 1942
Sure! How about Albino?
Thanks,
Donna
born in Waterbury, CT
Thanks,
Donna
born in Waterbury, CT
- 20 Oct 2007, 05:02
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Help with a few phrases in a death record
- Replies: 4
- Views: 6026
Re: Help with a few phrases in a death record
Thank you, suanj! I have a couple of questions about your translation. The age after Vincenzo's name ... is that Vincenzo's age or Maria Elisabetta's age? I haven't been able to find anything that gives me Vincenzo's age yet. I believe it said 28, and this document is dated 1837, which means maybe I ...
- 19 Oct 2007, 13:22
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Help with a few phrases in a death record
- Replies: 4
- Views: 6026
Help with a few phrases in a death record
I found my ggg-grandparents' 1856 processetti record last night. It had the death notices for my ggg-grandfather's father and grandfather in it. This is the 4g death notice:
Vincenzo's death record
What does the line about Gennaro Albino say? I see Gennaro's offspring in Campodipietra, but I ...
Vincenzo's death record
What does the line about Gennaro Albino say? I see Gennaro's offspring in Campodipietra, but I ...
- 18 Oct 2007, 20:12
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Help with phrases in a birth record, part 2
- Replies: 10
- Views: 11433
Re: Help with phrases in a birth record, part 2
No, Vincenzo would have died after 1910 (when my films end).
I have found his parents and grandparents, so I know the names I need in the birth/marriage/death records. I just haven't been able to find any siblings to his father or grandfather yet. I'm still looking! I'm slowly photocopying the ...
I have found his parents and grandparents, so I know the names I need in the birth/marriage/death records. I just haven't been able to find any siblings to his father or grandfather yet. I'm still looking! I'm slowly photocopying the ...
- 17 Oct 2007, 15:49
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Help with phrases in a birth record, part 2
- Replies: 10
- Views: 11433
Re: Help with phrases in a birth record, part 2
Alas, I'm still lost ... I found Michele's marriage to Gaetana, and he is not fu Nicola, he is fu Gaetano. And I have no connection yet with Gaetano.
Darn, darn, darn. Must keep looking.
Donna
Darn, darn, darn. Must keep looking.
Donna