Search found 19 matches
- 01 Sep 2010, 06:06
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: Scafatuna
- Replies: 13
- Views: 17203
Re: Scafatuna
Yes, it is in Cave Creek, Arizona. My e-mail was hacked and I just finally figured out how to get back onto this account. I need to figure out how to change the e-mail delivery system though.
- 24 Feb 2010, 22:14
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Spano/Rudi
- Replies: 31
- Views: 22530
Re: Spano/Rudi
I can't remember why Biancavilla came up. Is it on one of the census records or ship manifests?
One of the questions asked on any census is "Birth place", California is given for Pauline on both the 1920 and 1930 census, however, for the child "Mollie", one census list California and the other ...
One of the questions asked on any census is "Birth place", California is given for Pauline on both the 1920 and 1930 census, however, for the child "Mollie", one census list California and the other ...
- 29 Nov 2009, 14:27
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: Scafatuna
- Replies: 13
- Views: 17203
Scafatuna
I'm not sure if I'm spelling this Italian dish correct. I'm spelling it phonetically. I got the recipe from my father's side which was Napolitan and Calabrian.
It consists of Rigitoni mixed with Ricotta cheese, thinly shredded mozarella cheese and marinara sauce.
I don't think I have the correct ...
It consists of Rigitoni mixed with Ricotta cheese, thinly shredded mozarella cheese and marinara sauce.
I don't think I have the correct ...
- 17 Nov 2009, 17:49
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Americanized surname
- Replies: 13
- Views: 13586
Re: Americanized surname
Thank you for your answers, everyone. I appreciate it. I guess I just find it a bit sad for the people who "had" to change their names to fit in and for work. And just out of curiosity, is there a reason that the Irish were accepted more than the Italians, or was it just that area? I know growing up ...
- 16 Nov 2009, 20:25
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Americanized surname
- Replies: 13
- Views: 13586
Re: Americanized surname
I don't quite understand. Do you mean that Italians arrived in massive amounts after the Nordic/Celts arrived? And do you mean that people associated negative things with Italians and that is why they Americanized their names?
I ask because I never really understood that. Many of my relatives have ...
I ask because I never really understood that. Many of my relatives have ...
- 16 Nov 2009, 20:22
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: birth registrations for marriage?
- Replies: 8
- Views: 7055
Re: birth registrations for marriage?
Just out of curiosity, why was there a marriage bann?
Hi Jim,
First, my research has been in Sicily and Calabria, Italy and my response is based on my experience.
Couples had to get a marriage bann to be married. This notice was published every week for 3 weeks. Found in microfilm as ...
Hi Jim,
First, my research has been in Sicily and Calabria, Italy and my response is based on my experience.
Couples had to get a marriage bann to be married. This notice was published every week for 3 weeks. Found in microfilm as ...
- 15 Nov 2009, 02:24
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Americanized surname
- Replies: 13
- Views: 13586
Re: Americanized surname
I dont' know if this will help but I found this online. Maybe he's from another country before he moved to Italy.
Cook is the English occupational name for the cook, the man who sold cooked meats, or the keeper of an eating house. It is derived from Old English coc = cook. Cooke and Coke are ...
Cook is the English occupational name for the cook, the man who sold cooked meats, or the keeper of an eating house. It is derived from Old English coc = cook. Cooke and Coke are ...
- 15 Nov 2009, 00:59
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: Christmas Eve Dinner
- Replies: 4
- Views: 8848
Christmas Eve Dinner
Hi:
I remember growing up not being allowed to have meat on Christmas Eve since it was the Eve before a High Holy Day. My dad's side was Napolitan/Calabrian and my mom's side was Sicilian. My mom said Sicilian's ate meat on Christmas Eve and that it was a Napolitan thing. However, in reading, it ...
I remember growing up not being allowed to have meat on Christmas Eve since it was the Eve before a High Holy Day. My dad's side was Napolitan/Calabrian and my mom's side was Sicilian. My mom said Sicilian's ate meat on Christmas Eve and that it was a Napolitan thing. However, in reading, it ...
- 15 Nov 2009, 00:39
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Guttilla and Ricca
- Replies: 9
- Views: 8418
Re: Guttilla and Ricca
Yes, I was utilizing ancestory.com while I had a trial membership. I had to cancel because I couldn't afford the membership. I was also getting very confused with some of the records. I think I attached some records to family members that aren't even my family.
Anyway, I don't know Orazio's parents ...
Anyway, I don't know Orazio's parents ...
- 14 Nov 2009, 18:45
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Spano/Rudi
- Replies: 31
- Views: 22530
Re: Spano/Rudi
I honestly am not sure. I assumed he died because I didn't think people divorced back then.
suanj wrote:I no understood 1 thing: Joseph Spano died and Laura remarried; or they divorced?
- 14 Nov 2009, 18:40
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Spano/Rudi
- Replies: 31
- Views: 22530
Re: Spano/Rudi
Thank you. This means so much to me. I will try to gather my information (many of it is notes on paper) and be more precise.
Like I'm interested in knowing whether Laura Rudi was already married to Joe Spano when she came over to America. When the census was done she was only 17 when she was living ...
Like I'm interested in knowing whether Laura Rudi was already married to Joe Spano when she came over to America. When the census was done she was only 17 when she was living ...
- 14 Nov 2009, 18:38
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Spano/Rudi
- Replies: 31
- Views: 22530
Re: Spano/Rudi
OM gosh, this is awesome. I tried to find him via Ellis Island but kept having trouble. I even looked up Giuseppe because I figured it was under his Italian name. Thank you so much.[
quote="suanj"] Giuseppe Spanò ( right with accent, in italian spelling) arrival and joining at Nunzio Spanò ...
quote="suanj"] Giuseppe Spanò ( right with accent, in italian spelling) arrival and joining at Nunzio Spanò ...
- 14 Nov 2009, 18:35
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Spano/Rudi
- Replies: 31
- Views: 22530
Re: Spano/Rudi
Yes, this is them. Thank You.
hi,
maybe this record is abt your ancestors in 1910 census:
1910 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Spano
Name: Joseph Spano
Age in 1910: 21
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy ...
hi,
maybe this record is abt your ancestors in 1910 census:
1910 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Spano
Name: Joseph Spano
Age in 1910: 21
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy ...
- 14 Nov 2009, 02:02
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Spano/Rudi
- Replies: 31
- Views: 22530
Re: Spano/Rudi
I don't think this is him. I believe my Nunzio Spano was born about 1868 and immigrated to New York in 1900. I actually think that Joseph and Laura Spano (Rudi) immigrted around 1904
Possibility:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Nunzio Spano
Arrival Date: 11 Mar 1910
Estimated Birth ...
Possibility:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Nunzio Spano
Arrival Date: 11 Mar 1910
Estimated Birth ...
- 14 Nov 2009, 01:27
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Guttilla and Ricca
- Replies: 9
- Views: 8418
Re: Guttilla and Ricca
I am looking to find more information on my family in Sicily and if possible get in contact with any family members still there. My search is two fold; to gather information for my family tree, and to get into contact with long lost relatives.[
quote="wldspirit"]Welcome to IG! Can you be more ...
quote="wldspirit"]Welcome to IG! Can you be more ...