Search found 14 matches

by Insegnante
01 Oct 2010, 17:39
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

Hi Karen,

Thanks for that great online parish search site... It will save me a lot of time.

I tried the Brooklyn genealogy site a while back and didn't find their marriage listed :-(

Good suggestion for the cross street addresses to help the search :-)
There are/were so many churches in Brooklyn ...
by Insegnante
01 Oct 2010, 13:59
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

Ciao Luigi and Tessa :-)

You are all so nice on this forum and offer such comforting advice.

I've been listing churches that are possibilities. Will be sending out some letters today.
Hopefully I will find the record of their marriage.

Grazie to all of you!

Chris
by Insegnante
01 Oct 2010, 02:55
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

Thanks for the "heads up" about responsiveness of churches :-)
I will patient AND persistent.

Do you know what churches are/were located near these addresses?

2100 block of East 9th St., Brooklyn
400 block of East 16th St. "
800 block of Bedford Ave. "
500 block of DeKalb Ave. "

I have a baptism ...
by Insegnante
01 Oct 2010, 00:23
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

Chris,

I had the same situation -- grandparents married in Brooklyn in the early 20s. After having searches done in the Archives without luck, I followed-up with an e-mail to them and was told, "In theory marriages were to be reported to the city, but we have found that sometimes those performed ...
by Insegnante
30 Sep 2010, 20:41
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

I am hopeful. And I will pursue it to its end.

Thanks so much for your quick and very comprehensive assistance. :-)

(And Riccardo's, too!)

I'll let you all know if/when I am successful :-D

Chris
by Insegnante
30 Sep 2010, 20:29
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?


How would I go about getting documentation for their marriage? Any suggestions?
I have spent $$$ having searches done in NYC Municipal Archives from 1922-1926. No luck.
According to my GF Declaration of Intent and Petition for Naturalization, they were married September 24, 1924 in Brooklyn, NY ...
by Insegnante
30 Sep 2010, 16:39
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

Thanks Riccardo :-)

I will do that!
I hope I will find something.

Chris
by Insegnante
30 Sep 2010, 16:30
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

So the bottom line is -

If I don't get a copy of their marriage record, no dual citizenship, right?

Because, even though there is no record of my GM ever naturalizing, or her mother before her, I still don't have the marriage record for her. :-(

Chris
by Insegnante
30 Sep 2010, 16:22
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

Yes, I will do that. It's a good suggestion :-) writing to Strongoli again.
Thanks.

As for the parishes in Brooklyn, there are/were sooo many!
I have been trying to narrow down the possibilities based on the census records I have. I have written to a few, but they haven't responded. Others have ...
by Insegnante
30 Sep 2010, 16:16
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

Hello Riccardo :-)

Would the record in Strongoli be noted on their birth records?
I ask because I have their BRs and there is no notation on either one. :-(

Or would this be a separate record?

Chris
by Insegnante
30 Sep 2010, 16:14
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

Not at all :-)

She was Regina Bompignano (sometimes spelled Pompignano, Papiano).
He was Eugenio Casanova.

Chris
by Insegnante
30 Sep 2010, 16:05
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

Thank you Riccardo :-)

How would I go about getting documentation for their marriage? Any suggestions?
I have spent $$$ having searches done in NYC Municipal Archives from 1922-1926. No luck.
According to my GF Declaration of Intent and Petition for Naturalization, they were married September 24 ...
by Insegnante
30 Sep 2010, 16:00
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

Re: How important is this document?

My grandfather and grandmother were both born in Strongoli, Calabria.
I have both of their birth certificates.

They were married in 1924.

We thought they were married in NYC, but there is NO record there.

There is no chance they were married in Italy because my GM was 2 years old when she ...
by Insegnante
30 Sep 2010, 15:38
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: How important is this document?
Replies: 34
Views: 14585

How important is this document?

Hi everyone! What a great site!

Quick question:

I have been gathering documents for dual citizenship.
The ONLY document I have been unable to get is my grandfather/grandmother's marriage document.

I am applying through this line -
Me - born in US after 1948
Mother - born in US
Grandfather ...