Have you tried to type in the letters and then paste into google translate first?
I suppose Italian handwriting was not significantly different to English handwriting in 1930s-1950s.
Google Translate is very efficient and should easily provide you with 90% understanding of the letters' content.
Search found 57 matches
- 06 Jan 2018, 09:19
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Translation of letters between my grandparents
- Replies: 11
- Views: 3540
- 06 Jan 2018, 09:14
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Teta, or Testa/Laurino MARRIAGE
- Replies: 11
- Views: 2671
Re: Teta, or Testa/Laurino MARRIAGE
Image quality is inadequate and much too blurred.
- 01 Jan 2018, 12:20
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?
- Replies: 6
- Views: 2833
Re: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?
I asked my Sicilian father, he confirms that "schetto/schetta" in Sicilian dialect refers to a person who has not been married before.
- 31 Dec 2017, 08:16
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?
- Replies: 6
- Views: 2833
Re: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?
Thanks!
Roberto
Roberto
- 30 Dec 2017, 19:50
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?
- Replies: 6
- Views: 2833
What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?
Hi there,
frequently I see the abbreviation "sch." following the name of groom and bride in the marriage records. I understand that it must describe the marital status of the person (unmarried, I suppose), since "ved" for vedovo/vedova (widower) is also sometimes observed in other marriages.
But ...
frequently I see the abbreviation "sch." following the name of groom and bride in the marriage records. I understand that it must describe the marital status of the person (unmarried, I suppose), since "ved" for vedovo/vedova (widower) is also sometimes observed in other marriages.
But ...
- 30 Nov 2017, 16:08
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Where does the bride and groom live?
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1729
Re: Where does the bride and groom live?
Thanks a lot, Marcello
- 21 Nov 2017, 18:35
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Where does the bride and groom live?
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1729
Where does the bride and groom live?
I am trying hard to read the Italian text of a page in the "Processetti 1741-1746", parish of Sant'Ippolito al Capo, Palermo.
The front page of the folio is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2hej8ji2oizemf/Sant%27Ippolito%20al%20Capo%20-%20Processetti%201741-1746%20-%20Image%201208.jpg?dl=0
However ...
The front page of the folio is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2hej8ji2oizemf/Sant%27Ippolito%20al%20Capo%20-%20Processetti%201741-1746%20-%20Image%201208.jpg?dl=0
However ...
- 21 Nov 2017, 12:30
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: script & translation matrimonio
- Replies: 4
- Views: 2068
Re: script & translation matrimonio
It is church marriage act (Latin). Some of the highlights, as I read them:
Date of the act is 8 January 1784. Three mandatory marriage banns on 8, 14 and 21 (?) December 1783.
Groom's name is Giuseppe Alaimo, previously unmarried, son of xxx Alaimo, widower of Agata Rampante (?). Name of the bride ...
Date of the act is 8 January 1784. Three mandatory marriage banns on 8, 14 and 21 (?) December 1783.
Groom's name is Giuseppe Alaimo, previously unmarried, son of xxx Alaimo, widower of Agata Rampante (?). Name of the bride ...
- 20 Nov 2017, 20:58
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Latin church record - marriage 1746
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3267
Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746
btw: Looking again, I don't think the word after "ex" is "mea". To me it looks more like "nra", and with an abbreviation symbol ("9") above the line, I interpret this as "n[ost]ra".
I.e. "ambos ex nostra Parochia".
I.e. "ambos ex nostra Parochia".
- 20 Nov 2017, 20:32
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Latin church record - marriage 1746
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3267
Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746
In order to go further back in time in would be extremely valuable to fully understand the sentence:
" ... ambos ex [?] parochia ".
Does it mean "both out of this parish", or does the " ex " rather implies "both from outside this parish" ?
I suppose the latter is NOT correct, since marriage ...
" ... ambos ex [?] parochia ".
Does it mean "both out of this parish", or does the " ex " rather implies "both from outside this parish" ?
I suppose the latter is NOT correct, since marriage ...
- 20 Nov 2017, 11:58
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Latin church record - marriage 1746
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3267
Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746
Thanks a lot, Pippo! 
- 20 Nov 2017, 07:07
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Latin church record - marriage 1746
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3267
Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746
I just realized that I am probably not helping myself by only posting a Familysearch link that requires logon, so here it is for more easy access:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/os9ibinxewnm9 ... 9.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/os9ibinxewnm9 ... 9.jpg?dl=0
- 19 Nov 2017, 17:49
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Latin church record - marriage 1746
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3267
Latin church record - marriage 1746
Hi,
I am struggling hard with this marriage record from Palermo dated 24 July 1746, Lorenzo Oliveri and Angela Buffa (parish of Sant'Ippolito al Capo), no 101:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9L-47KK-B?cat=559236
I am only able to read more or less accurately:
Anno D[omi]ni ...
I am struggling hard with this marriage record from Palermo dated 24 July 1746, Lorenzo Oliveri and Angela Buffa (parish of Sant'Ippolito al Capo), no 101:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9L-47KK-B?cat=559236
I am only able to read more or less accurately:
Anno D[omi]ni ...
- 27 Jun 2017, 12:53
- Forum: Locations in Italy
- Topic: Detailed map or list of streets/alleys of Palermo?
- Replies: 0
- Views: 3198
Detailed map or list of streets/alleys of Palermo?
Can someone provide information on a detailed map, list, book or similar on the streets and alleys of Palermo, preferably covering 18th and 19th Century topography?
I am looking for some sort of standard tome to be able to locate where exactly my ancestors lived when consulting "Numerazione delle ...
I am looking for some sort of standard tome to be able to locate where exactly my ancestors lived when consulting "Numerazione delle ...
- 26 Jun 2017, 12:45
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Help reading a "denunzio di matrimonio"
- Replies: 8
- Views: 2381
Re: Help reading a "denunzio di matrimonio"
Here Pietro Buffa suddenly appears living together with the Lorenzo Oliveri / Angela Buffa family at the "Numerazione delle anime" in 1765:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9L-3QHY-7?i=1224&cat=559236
He does not live there the year before or after. If he is the father he would have ...
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9L-3QHY-7?i=1224&cat=559236
He does not live there the year before or after. If he is the father he would have ...