Search found 10 matches

by Markneth
21 Jul 2003, 13:17
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Personal letters from the 1850s
Replies: 15
Views: 27587

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your compliment. I've been to your site now, which is very impressive. A fine tribute to all those families that were here before us. All those personal belongings make not only their personal history, but great events of that century (all those people emigrating) and what ...
by Markneth
18 Jul 2003, 15:16
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Personal letters from the 1850s
Replies: 15
Views: 27587

that’s odd. I posted a reply but then I got: “ invalid sessionâ€
by Markneth
02 Jul 2003, 00:02
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Personal letters from the 1850s
Replies: 15
Views: 27587

thanks again!

Hi Maurizio,

There's really no need for you to apologize that you took some time! You can't imagine how grateful I am that you helped me out with these three letters in the first place. They have made more clear than I could have imagined. Especially this last letter contains some details that ...
by Markneth
24 Jun 2003, 00:11
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Personal letters from the 1850s
Replies: 15
Views: 27587

Italian Text of the second letter

Well I hope it's Italian. I dare not ask too much, but I put it on anyway.
Maybe someone can tell me if this is truely Italian?
Thanks!
Mark

see http://www.wagenbuur.nl/letters.htm for an image of this letter


Utrecht, 19 Luglio 1853

Stimat(issim)o Professore

In riscontro alla preg(...)me Sua 6 ...
by Markneth
23 Jun 2003, 21:28
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Personal letters from the 1850s
Replies: 15
Views: 27587

Molto Grazie! Maurizio. :D

That is about all the Italian I speak . But that doesn't mean that I don't understand more. I speak Dutch, German, English and a bit of French. And I picked up some Latin on the side. So I treat Italian as a puzzle. Most words seem like words of one of the before ...
by Markneth
21 Jun 2003, 10:41
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Personal letters from the 1850s
Replies: 15
Views: 27587

I think I got the first letter now, sort of. Using translationsite in combination with my (better) dictionary. Thanks again Maurizio for the Italian words. I am not sure with Dutch curseword you meant but perhaps that is better so. :lol: Almost done with the second letter too. May be able to post it ...
by Markneth
20 Jun 2003, 13:26
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Personal letters from the 1850s
Replies: 15
Views: 27587

Hi Maurizio!

Thank you so much for your work! I'm glad I did some preparation ;-)

I think I might find out the meaning now. I do have an Italian-Dutch dictionary, but if you don't know what it should be in Italian it is hard to look. Now I might find the meaning. But as you may have guessed I don ...
by Markneth
18 Jun 2003, 00:50
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Personal letters from the 1850s
Replies: 15
Views: 27587

Personal letters from the 1850s

I wonder if anyone could help me with 2 personal letters by one of my ancestors, sent to Italy in the 1850 to (I think) some professors or ex-university friends(?) he had to get some money from. The 3rd letter is the answer and I think he got the money 8)

I made some high resolution scans and put ...
by Markneth
11 Jun 2003, 13:38
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Italian Archive System ?
Replies: 6
Views: 7298

Thank you Peter! Especially the tip for finding the communities was a big help. I found them both (Milan and Porlezza) and will try to send them both an e-mail first before turning to the churces in the White Papers.

I am puzzled by the name too, sometimes it's Valsolda, sometimes Porlezza and in ...
by Markneth
11 Jun 2003, 10:15
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Italian Archive System ?
Replies: 6
Views: 7298

Italian Archive System ?

I am from the Netherlands, and I will be in Italy this Summer (July 2003) and in the area where one of my ancestors comes from. While I am there I would like to try and find some more information about his parents. Unfortunatly I hardly speak any Italian.

I have a lot of experience in visiting ...