Search found 14 matches

by AngelaM
29 Apr 2004, 20:37
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Nicolo Bruno - Palermo to New Orleans - 1904
Replies: 6
Views: 10762

I found a Nicolo Bruno on a different ship. The SS Darlington that went from Palermo to Philadelphia to New Orleans arriving Dec 1882.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... 8205405439
by AngelaM
15 Mar 2004, 23:23
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Need help with Platto (and Sansone) Surname
Replies: 11
Views: 15133

I don't seem to be finding the surname Platea either in the Italian surname databases. I thought I was on to something but it seems like I'm lost again. The passenger list was typed so maybe the transcriber spelled it wrong. Maybe the true spelling was Plateo? Although I haven't found that name ...
by AngelaM
15 Mar 2004, 21:18
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Need help with Platto (and Sansone) Surname
Replies: 11
Views: 15133

I think I made some progress. I just found this passenger list on line:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/orleans/ships/00000008.txt?o_xid=0030660188&o_lid=0030660188&sourceid=00306601887744511398

Since you gave me the dates they entered the US, I was able to find this list and found some of ...
by AngelaM
15 Mar 2004, 20:56
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Need help with Platto (and Sansone) Surname
Replies: 11
Views: 15133

Bernard Platto was a Catholic Priest. So it appears you found the right people. My Great-grandmother's married name was Serio. She married John Serio. He was also from Italy. He is another person that I haven't been able to find yet. And, my family all lived in the Birmingham, AL area (Ensley, AL to ...
by AngelaM
15 Mar 2004, 12:20
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Need help with Platto (and Sansone) Surname
Replies: 11
Views: 15133

Need help with Platto (and Sansone) Surname

I seem to be coming up empty handed while trying to find family members with the last name of Platto. I know my great-grandmother (Mary Nancy Platto) was born in Lascari, Sicily. And, I know that her brother, Bernard Platto was 10 years old when he immigrated to the US (he was born April 10, 1884 ...
by AngelaM
09 Jan 2004, 08:37
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Good book to read for Italian Geneology in Alabama
Replies: 1
Views: 10555

Good book to read for Italian Geneology in Alabama

While research for my famly tree, I came across this book in a local library. It was a wonderful find for me as I just haven't seen much discussion on the large group of Italians that settled in Ensley, AL and Bessemer, AL. Anyway, the title of the book is Italians in the Deep South: Their Impact on ...
by AngelaM
30 Dec 2003, 12:57
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Family Names Cartolano, DiChiera and Simonetta
Replies: 3
Views: 7210

I don't know if the following names are derivatives of the ones you mention or not but there are lots of people with the following names in Birmingham, AL. They may be relatives somehow.

The versions in Alabama are DiChiara and Simonetti. I bought a book recently called "Italians in the Deep South ...
by AngelaM
29 Dec 2003, 17:21
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Surnames: Antonio (Intogna), Platto, and Serio
Replies: 12
Views: 15089

Suanj-
I did some research on the other Intogna members that you found at Ellis Island. While I don't recognize those names, I did recognize some names that they were coming to the US for. Several mention Ignazio Zito. He was the father of Consetta Zito who married my Grandma's brother, Bernard ...
by AngelaM
29 Dec 2003, 12:35
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Surnames: Antonio (Intogna), Platto, and Serio
Replies: 12
Views: 15089

Grazie to both Peter and Suanj. You guys have been very helpful and I am truly greatful.

Suanj--do you know what Agnese translates to in English? I don't think I've seen this name before. :?:
by AngelaM
29 Dec 2003, 02:28
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Marriage/birth/baptism records for Bisacquino residents?
Replies: 1
Views: 6517

Marriage/birth/baptism records for Bisacquino residents?

With the help of a friend here, I think I've got one set of my grandparents identified. They were from Bisacquino, Sicily. They immigrated the US in 1901 and they were married some time prior to traveling. Can anyone tell me where to begin my search for these types of documents? I do have birth ...
by AngelaM
29 Dec 2003, 02:20
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: naturalization
Replies: 5
Views: 8294

Would they have to wait 2 years? I'm asking because I think I found my relatives (with the help of a friend here) on a ship list arriving at Ellis Island. The ship arrived in 1901. I found a US census with my family members and it shows that they were naturalized in 1901. Is it possible to do this ...
by AngelaM
29 Dec 2003, 00:13
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Surnames: Antonio (Intogna), Platto, and Serio
Replies: 12
Views: 15089

I do know that my Great Grandpa & Great Grandma Antonio traveled to the US with two of their children. Their names here in the US were Natch and Josephine. Do you think that is Ignazio is Natch and that Giuseppa was Josephine? All of their other children, including my Grandfather, were born here in ...
by AngelaM
28 Dec 2003, 18:19
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Surnames: Antonio (Intogna), Platto, and Serio
Replies: 12
Views: 15089

The first names I have are:

Great Grandfather: Anthony (or Antonino) Antonio (or Intognio)
Great Grandmother: Lena (or Antonina) Marie Pincurarello (and also spelled Pecorara)

Great Grandfather: John (or Giovanne) Serio
Great Grandmother: Mary Nancy Platto

Great-Great-Grandfather: Salvatore ...
by AngelaM
28 Dec 2003, 14:25
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Surnames: Antonio (Intogna), Platto, and Serio
Replies: 12
Views: 15089

Surnames: Antonio (Intogna), Platto, and Serio

I have recently started geneology research on my Italian ancestors. My Mother's maiden name was Antonio. Her father was an Antonio. After looking in local church records, I found my Great Grandparents with the last name spelled Intognio. However, I haven't been able to find anything on the web ...