Names on documents - which way round?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
brenta
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Mar 2014, 22:30
Location: London

Names on documents - which way round?

Post by brenta »

Is there a set way to read names on documents in terms of which names come first? I know usually the surname is first but then if there are a number of names which one is usually the first name? I keep coming across a lot of my family using what I would think is a middle name rather than the first name listed. Is this usual? Just wondered if I'm reading them right.
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Names on documents - which way round?

Post by Italysearcher »

In my experience the order of names does not indicate which name was used in daily life. In many families all girls were given the name Maria, first second or last, but obviously they used one of the other names or the combination. i.e. Marianna, or Anna Maria
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Post Reply