What can you tell me about "Ninco Nanco"?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: What can you tell me about "Ninco Nanco"?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

adelfio wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 03:32 I looked this is a straight death record with witnesses and what Angela written

Marty
Thanks for taking a look Marty.

Angela :)
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

Thank you both. The more you look, the more this seems like a sad, broken family. The records that I would need to prove or disprove a connection are beyond reach but it's still interesting to dig a little deeper into Avigliano's most (in)famous son.

I was really hoping to see an address listed. I've referenced my g-g-grandfather's death cert listing #6 Marchetti Street as his home. My cousin was in Avigliano this past week to see if he could get any help from the Anagrafe office but did not have much luck. Wherever Marchetti steet was, it no longer exists.

A blogger from Avigliano, Leonardo Pisani, frequently writes about Ninco Nanco, and even posted a photo of the house he was born in. I wrote him for the address which is #6 Largo Margherita di Savoia. Now, Margherita of Savoy died in 1926, so obviously the street name has changed since Ninco Nanco was born. What was it called when Marco died in 1891? We may never know, but it's enough for me to keep looking.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

montclaire wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 21:09 Thank you both. The more you look, the more this seems like a sad, broken family. The records that I would need to prove or disprove a connection are beyond reach but it's still interesting to dig a little deeper into Avigliano's most (in)famous son.

I was really hoping to see an address listed. I've referenced my g-g-grandfather's death cert listing #6 Marchetti Street as his home. My cousin was in Avigliano this past week to see if he could get any help from the Anagrafe office but did not have much luck. Wherever Marchetti steet was, it no longer exists.

A blogger from Avigliano, Leonardo Pisani, frequently writes about Ninco Nanco, and even posted a photo of the house he was born in. I wrote him for the address which is #6 Largo Margherita di Savoia. Now, Margherita of Savoy died in 1926, so obviously the street name has changed since Ninco Nanco was born. What was it called when Marco died in 1891? We may never know, but it's enough for me to keep looking.
Looking at Ninco Nanco's death record, there is an address which looks like "Strada Agro di Laq(u)apepole (sp?)". It's not super-clear as to whose address it is though, unless it is meaning that he (Ninco Nanco) and his deceased parents had lived at the same address? Not sure. His wife, Catterina Ferrara is still living at this point. Have you found her death record. Hopefully it gives an address.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

It would be interesting to know where/how Leonardo Pisani gets his information. It seems like it was all very much a family matter - Ninco Nanco's brother-in-law Nicole Coviello was also somehow involved?

Also have you thought of writing to the comune, or State Archives, and asking them whether they might have any "historic street maps" of Avigliano.

If you are really wanting/needing more answers, it might be a good idea to write down a clear precis of exactly what you do know, including the references, and showing where you have gaps, and then post it here for future reference. You can then just update it as you get more information. I notice that there is a lot of information online about Ninco Nanco but some of it will just be assumptions.

(I agree, it was a really sad, broken family, but worse than that.)

Angela
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

Angela, Ninco was killed away from home, in the general area of Castel Lagopesole (there is an actual castle there). He was buried in Potenza.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Okay. So in his death record the address given is “Strada Agro Di Lagopesole”. That makes better sense.

Angela