Hi, I'm having the following situation. Well, actually my wife is. She would be able to get her citizenship via three different ways and we're exploring this last option to see if it could happen this way, because the other two are not without problems such as a long list of certificate mistakes and other irregularities that I'll probably ask about in a different post.
So this is the story: her grandmother married in 1939 to a man who was the son of Italians. These Italians never lost their citizenship, but the son never proceeded with the citizenship recognition. Then grandma separated, and had children with another man, including my wife's mother in 1957. She only married this man (grandpa) in 1969, after her first husband died. Her mother got married to an Argentine man (Ius Soli) and then she was born.
As far as I know, a son of Italians is Italian. Also, prior to 1983 a woman automatically got the Italian citizenship when marrying an Italian (even though he didn't declare to be one, he was).
Is then possible for my wife to proceed via her grandmother's father-in-law?
Hope this is clear enough!
Citizenship through GM's first husband
-
SoupMaMaJaJa
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 11 Oct 2018, 05:06
Re: Citizenship through GM's first husband
I don't know the answer to your question but I am sure someone on this Facebook page will... https://www.facebook.com/groups/dualusi ... tizenship/
Re: Citizenship through GM's first husband
I am not certain of this, but I strongly suspect you will have problems with this line because the child was born to another man during a separation. A woman’s “acquired through marriage” citizenship could not be lost because her husband died, but divorce could end that citizenship. Although she did not divorce, the separation and child with another man while her husband was still living will likely give them a strong reason to reject especially since the other man’s name is on the child’s birth certificate. They could legitimately argue that she should not be given the benefits of citizenship if she rejected her husband by living and procreating with another man.
Go with the other options. This one really pushes the line.
Go with the other options. This one really pushes the line.
