Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
ItalianHopeful
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Apr 2019, 17:57

Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)

Post by ItalianHopeful »

Hi,

Thanks to the research of my brother-in-law I have a clearer picture of my family history.

My grandmother on my mother's side arrived in New York aboard the Venezia on 9 May, 1910, when she was 27 years old. She and my grandfather were married on 12 June, 1910. My grandmother never naturalized and gave birth to my mother in New York on 18 January, 1919.

My grandfather on my mother's side, born 23 July, 1883 in Grumo Nevano, arrived in the US aboard the Montserrat on 11 July, 1905. He naturalized in 1939 when my mother was under the age of 21.

My father, born 16, May 1911 in Candela, came to the US on 1 January, 1913 aboard the Adriatic. My parents married on 5 November, 1949. My grandfather on my father's side naturalized in 1930 when my father was under the age of 21.

I was born in 1954 (and I'm a woman and a US citizen).

Does it sound like I qualify for Italian citizenship? Thanks.
ItalianHopeful
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Apr 2019, 17:57

Re: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)

Post by ItalianHopeful »

I almost forgot: My grandmother on my father's side, born 29 June, 1887, in Ordona, arrived in the US in 1913. She and my grandfather were married on 13 October, 1907, and she naturalized after my father had turned 21 years of age.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)

Post by mler »

Your father’s side is a no go. He was born in Italy and his father naturalized while he was a minor. He naturalized with his father, and at that time, the line ended.

You mother’s side is not a problem. Even though her father naturalized when she was a minor, she was born in the US and was, thus, unaffected by his naturalization. Your line is gf-m-you.
ItalianHopeful
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Apr 2019, 17:57

Re: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)

Post by ItalianHopeful »

Wow, amazing! Thank you so much! And just so I'm absolutely clear on this: this means I won't need to challenge the 1948 rule?
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)

Post by mler »

No, not a 1948 case. Your grandfather transmitted citizenship to your mother (and subsequently lost his citizenship when he naturalized). You were born after 1948 so your mom was able to transmit citizenship to you according to Italian law.
ItalianHopeful
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Apr 2019, 17:57

Re: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)

Post by ItalianHopeful »

This is even better news than I had hoped for. Thank you, again.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)

Post by mler »

Now the long process begins. Have fun. 😁
Post Reply