Need help finding if my Great Grandparents were ever Naturalized

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Alaskamom68
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 81
Joined: 02 Mar 2020, 07:00

Need help finding if my Great Grandparents were ever Naturalized

Post by Alaskamom68 »

I have been unable to find any naturalization documents for my great grandparents. I did how ever see that on my GG Father's WWI draft registration card he was not naturalized at that time. ( September 1918)

Here is what I know about them.

He was born Ferdinando Forni but after coming to the United States he went by Frederick and Fred
BIRTH 29 MARCH 1881 • Cassolana, Massa-Carrara, Toscana, Italy
DEATH 14 JANUARY 1955 • Artesia, Eddy, New Mexico, USA

She was born Elisa Deangeli but after coming to the United States she went by Elizabeth and Mary Elizabeth.
BIRTH 30 NOV 1883 • Licciana, Massa-Carrara, Toscana, Italy
DEATH 18 DECEMBER 1945 • Carlsbad, Eddy, New Mexico, USA

They married 17 Apr 1905 • Bagnone, Massa-Carrara, Toscana, Italy

He left Italy for America 29 Apr 1905 • port of havre, France

He left his home in Italy sailing on the ship L' Aquitaine out of the port of Havre in France. Only 12 days after marrying Elisa De Angeli. He arrived 9 May 1905 • Ellis Island, New York City, New York, USA

From there he worked in the mines in Dawson New Mexico saving until he could send for his wife.

Elisa left Italy for the United States 20 Oct 1906 • port of havre, France

Eliza Deangeli boarded La Provence in the Port of Havre, France on October 20th, 1906 to meet her husband Ferdinando Forni in Raton, New Mexico. She arrived at Ellis Island in New York on October 26th, 1906

My cousins and I are all trying to find this information and we'd be grateful for any assistance
Thank you
Traci Forni
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Need help finding if my Great Grandparents were ever Naturalized

Post by afecad »

You can do the following:

1) Go to the local courthouse of the county they resided in during the time they came to the US and search for documents IF the time of presumed NA was before September 27, 1906, if so then NARA should have records.

2) Contact NARA and request a search for the documents, they will either have it or not, but will also note if your ancestor claimed "NA" on any census records.

3) Search on Ancestry or FamilySearch, some records do show in certain cases.
Alaskamom68
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 81
Joined: 02 Mar 2020, 07:00

Re: Need help finding if my Great Grandparents were ever Naturalized

Post by Alaskamom68 »

Thank you I know that in 13 years after they arrived my GG Father's WWI draft registration card he was not naturalized at that time. ( September 1918)
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need help finding if my Great Grandparents were ever Naturalized

Post by suanj »

by 1930 census, he and Elizabeth seeming naturalized https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AXCMS-N2P
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need help finding if my Great Grandparents were ever Naturalized

Post by suanj »

Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Alaskamom68
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 81
Joined: 02 Mar 2020, 07:00

Re: Need help finding if my Great Grandparents were ever Naturalized

Post by Alaskamom68 »

In the 1930 Census it states that they arrived in 1913 which incorrect. He arrived in 1905 and she in 1906. Could this be the year they were naturalized? Also these are answers given by word. Is there anyway to find actual documentation of their naturalization? As on is 1918 WWII draft card that I have states that he was not naturalized at that time.
Thank you
Traci
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need help finding if my Great Grandparents were ever Naturalized

Post by suanj »

I don't know why stated 1913, maybe don't remembered... but on 1920 US census, Fred stated 1905 year of immigration and PA so Papers application.. Elizabeth was AL= alien
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AM4VR-5JY
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply