Help Translating Latin Location Name from 1632 Marriage Record in Palermo Cathedral

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
moralesij
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Dec 2022, 16:29
Location: Plano, TX

Help Translating Latin Location Name from 1632 Marriage Record in Palermo Cathedral

Post by moralesij »

I am wondering if someone might be able to help me translate the Latin location name found in a marriage record in the Palermo Cathedral in 1632.

The name of the groom is Franciscus Morales and bride is Angelam La Porta. Immediately behind the groom's name is the place where he is from followed by "et hab:" meaning that he is living in Palermo (abbreviated Pan for Panormi) and that he is single (shettum). I can make out the letters of the location but I cannot identify where this is.
It looks like it reads: "Franciscus Morales de terra S_ti (abbrev) Matthei(??) Villa Reggiu(??) in Regno Valetil(???)". Does anyone know or recognize what "Regno/kingdom" this might be?

Attached are:
1) excerpt of the marriage record from the Palermo Cathedral dated 28 Dec 1632,
2) the full record, and
3) the link to the record on FamilySearch.org: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=464031
Attachments
Marriage Record Church Palermo Cathedral img600 num44 -Franciscum Morales + Angelam La Porta marriage 16321228 full.JPG
Marriage Record church Palermo Cathedral img600 num44 - Franciscum Morales + Angelam La Porta marriage 16321228excerpt.JPG
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Translating Latin Location Name from 1632 Marriage Record in Palermo Cathedral

Post by suanj »

I believe, just a simple opinion, that "terra Sancti Matthei villa Reggio in Regno" refers to the "San Matteo" bastion in the city of Reggio Calabria, dismantled around 1886. During the demolition of the bastion and the tower, the Roman Baths were found, so to locate the place just look on the map where the Roman Baths are located.
Reggio di Calabria on 1610 drawn map: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storia_di ... e_1600.jpg

I believe that Franciscum coming from Reggio Calabria in the Napoli's kingdom (from 1302 year to 1816 year), and born and lived in a home between the area "A" and "B"(cathedral and bishopric), and the "C" (Aragon Castle).

Maybe the name Matthei could give a perplexity, but seeing the name Bartholomeus above Franciscum, it is easy to see the same sillabe (Bar) tho (lo- meus) and (Ma) "tthe" (i), written the same...

just a thought,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Help Translating Latin Location Name from 1632 Marriage Record in Palermo Cathedral

Post by PippoM »

My opinion. I'm not sure, but it can be a hint.
After "Regno" there's another word that might be read "Valentiae".
The name of the groom is clearly Spanish, so he might be from a town or village named San Mateo, near Vila-Real, in the Kingdom of Valencia (existing at that time).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Translating Latin Location Name from 1632 Marriage Record in Palermo Cathedral

Post by suanj »

Hi Pippo,
but before we can read Villa Reggio, e villa in latin= village. Moreover because the priest wrote with a capital letter the names of people, saints and cities and even kingdom, this last word can also be written with a small letter I would be very surprised by the "valetie", without "n", written with lowercase initial letter.
But the handwriting is no good, so easily to be wrong. The spanish surname of Franciscum could be strange, but the Calabria around 1600s was under the Viceregno of Napoli, Spanish power..
However all can be...
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Help Translating Latin Location Name from 1632 Marriage Record in Palermo Cathedral

Post by PippoM »

Mine is a hypothesis,too. However, your explanation makes sense, but, in its context, I wonder what the priest meant by writing "valetie" with an abbreviation mark over the "e".
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Post Reply