Help translating this marriage record-DiFulco

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
italian059
Master
Master
Posts: 955
Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36

Help translating this marriage record-DiFulco

Post by italian059 »

Would someone please translate this record. I don't even know where to begin but I believe they are the ancestors I am searching. It is record #360. Thanks so much. I am really confused with this one.
Mary

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... ng=en&i=94
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Help translating this marriage record-DiFulco

Post by erudita74 »

Nov 16, 1680

Groom: Domenico di Fulco who was also known under the alias, or also known by the surname Sardigna, so as Domenico Sardigna. His parents, deceased Giuseppe and Angela di Fulco, were also known under the surname, Sardigna. They were of this town.

Bride: Vincenza Borraijna (spelled Burraina in index), she was the widow of deceased Salvatore Borraijna). Her parents’ names are not given in the record.
italian059
Master
Master
Posts: 955
Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36

Re: Help translating this marriage record-DiFulco

Post by italian059 »

Erudita,
Thanks so much but I am very confused about the surname Sardigna i have a different record with the same family with that name. I have never heard of this. Why would they go under an alias? Was this common?
Mary
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Help translating this marriage record-DiFulco

Post by erudita74 »

Mary

When we think of “alias” in modern times, we think of a criminal using various names in order to avoid being caught by the police. In early church records though, it was common to find individuals who had an alias, or an alternate surname, that that person was also known by in his community. The alias surname may have been a sort of nickname for a particular branch of a family to distinguish it from other branches of a family with the same original surname. So, if you’ve found other records in which one or the other surname is used, but the parents match up, then you can be confident that they belong to the same family.

Off to our granddaughter’s softball game shortly, so that is all for now.

Erudita
italian059
Master
Master
Posts: 955
Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36

Re: Help translating this marriage record-DiFulco

Post by italian059 »

Erudita, Thanks so much for all that information. At least now I know they are the same family. Have a good day.
Mary
Post Reply