Was wondering, you mentioned that all males ages 18 had to do military?
Where would I write for my grandfathers card from Schio, Venice?
Would you be so kind as to give me an address also for this piece of information?
Thanks bunches!!
Ally
Hello Ally,ally wrote:Hello Ricbru,
Was wondering, you mentioned that all males ages 18 had to do military?
Where would I write for my grandfathers card from Schio, Venice?
Would you be so kind as to give me an address also for this piece of information?
Thanks bunches!!
Ally
ricbru wrote:Hello Ally,ally wrote:Hello Ricbru,
Was wondering, you mentioned that all males ages 18 had to do military?
Where would I write for my grandfathers card from Schio, Venice?
Would you be so kind as to give me an address also for this piece of information?
Thanks bunches!!
Ally
you can request your grandfather military record (foglio matricolare) and draft card (lista di leva) only to
Archivio di Stato di Vicenza
You can easily:
1) write them an email (I don't know if they will ever write you back), written in italian, or
2)you can send them a request written in italian (people working there don't have to necessary know foreign languages) via ordinary mail, add to it a big self addressed envelope + 3 or 4 international reply coupons and a photocopy of your ID + some euro cents to pay the cost of photocoping the records
I don't know if they will ever reply to your email because the Archivio di Stato and comunes of Veneto region have hundreds of emails everyday from Brasil and Argentina, because descendents of Italian immigrants are trying to get a record to understand where their ancestors were born to apply for Italian citizenship and run away from poornes of south America.
I deeply suggest you the second choice.
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
Dear Raffy,raffygen wrote:Ally,
unless Riccardo has specific reasons to believe the state archives in Veneto will not reply to your email I would try anyway before sending the letter and the postage.
I wrote to the State Archives in Enna and Catania. None of them replied to my email but after a month I have received a letter with the information requested from both of them without spending money.
Raffy![]()
ricbru wrote:Hello Ally,ally wrote:Hello Ricbru,
Was wondering, you mentioned that all males ages 18 had to do military?
Where would I write for my grandfathers card from Schio, Venice?
Would you be so kind as to give me an address also for this piece of information?
Thanks bunches!!
Ally
you can request your grandfather military record (foglio matricolare) and draft card (lista di leva) only to
Archivio di Stato di Vicenza
You can easily:
1) write them an email (I don't know if they will ever write you back), written in italian, or
2)you can send them a request written in italian (people working there don't have to necessary know foreign languages) via ordinary mail, add to it a big self addressed envelope + 3 or 4 international reply coupons and a photocopy of your ID + some euro cents to pay the cost of photocoping the records
I don't know if they will ever reply to your email because the Archivio di Stato and comunes of Veneto region have hundreds of emails everyday from Brasil and Argentina, because descendents of Italian immigrants are trying to get a record to understand where their ancestors were born to apply for Italian citizenship and run away from poornes of south America.
I deeply suggest you the second choice.
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
ricbru wrote:Dear Raffy,raffygen wrote:Ally,
unless Riccardo has specific reasons to believe the state archives in Veneto will not reply to your email I would try anyway before sending the letter and the postage.
I wrote to the State Archives in Enna and Catania. None of them replied to my email but after a month I have received a letter with the information requested from both of them without spending money.
Raffy![]()
ricbru wrote: Hello Ally,
you can request your grandfather military record (foglio matricolare) and draft card (lista di leva) only to
Archivio di Stato di Vicenza
You can easily:
1) write them an email (I don't know if they will ever write you back), written in italian, or
2)you can send them a request written in italian (people working there don't have to necessary know foreign languages) via ordinary mail, add to it a big self addressed envelope + 3 or 4 international reply coupons and a photocopy of your ID + some euro cents to pay the cost of photocoping the records
I don't know if they will ever reply to your email because the Archivio di Stato and comunes of Veneto region have hundreds of emails everyday from Brasil and Argentina, because descendents of Italian immigrants are trying to get a record to understand where their ancestors were born to apply for Italian citizenship and run away from poornes of south America.
I deeply suggest you the second choice.
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
I have contacts with Archivio di Stato and comunes all over Italy everyday, and I can tell you that everyone act differently.
There are some repositories who have not problem about spending money of postage or money of photocopies to send to requesters all over the world, there are some that have so many requests from all over the world continuesly, that they can't afford all these expenses, and they want you to anticipate the money for postage and envelope to reply (for example Archivio di Stato di Trento and Comune of Mazara del Vallo). The Public Administration in Italy is having an hard time with the money. The Department of Culture in Rome gives the money to the Archivio di Statos.
Since Ally I guess is not calling and speaking in italian to the man in charge of Archivio di Stato of Vicenza, to know the rules how to request and get these kind of records, I suggested Ally to spend a little of money and I gave her some other tips, so at least she will receive an answer sooner or later, instead of surely waiting forever....![]()
Remember that Italy is a very burocratic land, if you don't request the things in the way they want, they will never reply to you
You have been lucky to receive those records free of charge from Archivio di Stato of Catania and Enna
Riccardo
raffygen wrote:Riccardo,
thank you very much for your explanation!!!![]()
Raffy
ricbru wrote:Dear Raffy,raffygen wrote:Ally,
unless Riccardo has specific reasons to believe the state archives in Veneto will not reply to your email I would try anyway before sending the letter and the postage.
I wrote to the State Archives in Enna and Catania. None of them replied to my email but after a month I have received a letter with the information requested from both of them without spending money.
Raffy![]()
I have contacts with Archivio di Stato and comunes all over Italy everyday, and I can tell you that everyone act differently.
There are some repositories who have not problem about spending money of postage or money of photocopies to send to requesters all over the world, there are some that have so many requests from all over the world continuesly, that they can't afford all these expenses, and they want you to anticipate the money for postage and envelope to reply (for example Archivio di Stato di Trento and Comune of Mazara del Vallo). The Public Administration in Italy is having an hard time with the money. The Department of Culture in Rome gives the money to the Archivio di Statos.
Since Ally I guess is not calling and speaking in italian to the man in charge of Archivio di Stato of Vicenza, to know the rules how to request and get these kind of records, I suggested Ally to spend a little of money and I gave her some other tips, so at least she will receive an answer sooner or later, instead of surely waiting forever....![]()
Remember that Italy is a very burocratic land, if you don't request the things in the way they want, they will never reply to you
You have been lucky to receive those records free of charge from Archivio di Stato of Catania and Enna
Riccardo

