Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
My grandparents were from Ariano di Puglia. Where is (was?) this town located? Does anyone know anything about this community?
Thank you.
Pam
Thank you.
Pam
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
Apparently Ariano di Puglia is now named Ariano Irpino (since 1930).
about Ariano Irpino
about Ariano Irpino
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how I could find vital record information?
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
The address including fax and telephone number:
http://www.comuni.it./pbase/?IDcom=143
interactive letter for your request:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
or you could consult microfilmed records:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile &columns=*,0,0
guide to using this resource:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html
and an Italian genealogical word list:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
wldspirit
http://www.comuni.it./pbase/?IDcom=143
interactive letter for your request:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
or you could consult microfilmed records:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile &columns=*,0,0
guide to using this resource:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html
and an Italian genealogical word list:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
Also, here is the comune website:
http://www.comune.ariano-irpino.av.it/
you can translate the web page here:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
not the best translation mind you......but enough to get by......
wldspirit
http://www.comune.ariano-irpino.av.it/
you can translate the web page here:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
not the best translation mind you......but enough to get by......
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
- choggylama
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 29 Jan 2008, 06:40
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
My great grandparents were also from Ariano Di Puglia. I was wondering if you found any useful info on your family? I would like to trace my roots further.
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
choggylama,
I have not had much opportunity to investigate the resources listed here. My research happens in fits and starts. My grandparents were Riccio and Verosino. I have very little information about them. Who were your relatives?
prawson
I have not had much opportunity to investigate the resources listed here. My research happens in fits and starts. My grandparents were Riccio and Verosino. I have very little information about them. Who were your relatives?
prawson
- NoSmallStir
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 17 Jun 2010, 13:40
- Contact:
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
I am writing 7 years after the initial post.
Have you found anything of interest? I am looking for the Gagliardo, Gagliardi, family of Ariano di puglia. They immigrated in 1906ish, settled in Mount Vernon, New York and had their names mixed up by immigration!
Nicola and Carmilla was my great grandparents names. Louis and Anthony their sons... but I don't know if it was luigi and antonio... barely can find bark on my tree!
Have you found anything of interest? I am looking for the Gagliardo, Gagliardi, family of Ariano di puglia. They immigrated in 1906ish, settled in Mount Vernon, New York and had their names mixed up by immigration!
Nicola and Carmilla was my great grandparents names. Louis and Anthony their sons... but I don't know if it was luigi and antonio... barely can find bark on my tree!
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
Hello and welcome to the forum! 
If you can provide any additional details we can help in your search for your Gagliardo(i) ancestors! Do you know approximate dates of birth? Carmilla's maiden name? Where they were married - US or Italy?
Do you have any US records like Census?
T.
If you can provide any additional details we can help in your search for your Gagliardo(i) ancestors! Do you know approximate dates of birth? Carmilla's maiden name? Where they were married - US or Italy?
Do you have any US records like Census?
T.
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
On the free site: www.pilot.familysearch.org
I located a manifest for Nicola Gagliardo arriving NY 1907.
Unfortunately, when you try to make the link to the manifest image, Ellis Island has the wrong image. It may take some searching to find the actual manifest...
I tried going to the Ellis Island site (also free) www.ellisisland.org
and seraching by the ship and date, but same incorrect image comes up...

Here is a summary for future reference...
Given Name: Nicola
Surname: Gagliardo
Last Place of Residence: Ariano
Date of Arrival: 17 Mar 1907
Age at Arrival: 41y
Ethnicity: Italy South
Port of Departure: Naples
Port of Arrival: New York
Gender: Male
Marital Status: M
US Citizen:
Ship of Travel: Virginia
Collection: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924
T.
I located a manifest for Nicola Gagliardo arriving NY 1907.
Unfortunately, when you try to make the link to the manifest image, Ellis Island has the wrong image. It may take some searching to find the actual manifest...
I tried going to the Ellis Island site (also free) www.ellisisland.org
and seraching by the ship and date, but same incorrect image comes up...
Here is a summary for future reference...
Given Name: Nicola
Surname: Gagliardo
Last Place of Residence: Ariano
Date of Arrival: 17 Mar 1907
Age at Arrival: 41y
Ethnicity: Italy South
Port of Departure: Naples
Port of Arrival: New York
Gender: Male
Marital Status: M
US Citizen:
Ship of Travel: Virginia
Collection: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924
T.
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
Was able to capture it at Ancestry... 
Nicola Gagliardo, 41, from Ariano, going to brother Luigi Gagliardo in Mount Vernon, NY...
http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1619 ... st1907.jpg
T.
Nicola Gagliardo, 41, from Ariano, going to brother Luigi Gagliardo in Mount Vernon, NY...
http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1619 ... st1907.jpg
T.
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
It seems that Nicola returned to Italy very soon after that to bring his wife Carmella (Camilla) back to US.
This is a manifest for Nov. 1907 on which you'll find their names on lines 9 and 10. However the line is crossed out with "Uscit" which indicates that they left the ship.
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/863/ ... t19072.jpg
T.
This is a manifest for Nov. 1907 on which you'll find their names on lines 9 and 10. However the line is crossed out with "Uscit" which indicates that they left the ship.
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/863/ ... t19072.jpg
T.
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
Possibly an earlier manifest for Nicola Gagliardo in 1894...
Unfortunately, these early manifests don't provide much information.
Name: Nicola Gagliardo
Arrival Date: 27 Feb 1894
Birth Year: abt 1867
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Fulda
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7021 ... st1894.jpg
T.
Unfortunately, these early manifests don't provide much information.
Name: Nicola Gagliardo
Arrival Date: 27 Feb 1894
Birth Year: abt 1867
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Fulda
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7021 ... st1894.jpg
T.
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
1920 Census for Nicola Gagliardo family
1920 United States Federal Census
about Nick Gagliarde
Name: Nick Gagliarde
[Nick Gazliarde]
[Mick Gagliardi]
Home in 1920: Mount Vernon Ward 4, Westchester, New York
Age: 54
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Camila
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1883 First time?
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Nick Gagliarde 54
Camila Gagliarde 50
Tony Gagliarde 20
Louis Gagliarde 18
Cosmo Minchetta 31
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/9051 ... census.jpg
T.
1920 United States Federal Census
about Nick Gagliarde
Name: Nick Gagliarde
[Nick Gazliarde]
[Mick Gagliardi]
Home in 1920: Mount Vernon Ward 4, Westchester, New York
Age: 54
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Camila
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1883 First time?
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Nick Gagliarde 54
Camila Gagliarde 50
Tony Gagliarde 20
Louis Gagliarde 18
Cosmo Minchetta 31
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/9051 ... census.jpg
T.
- NoSmallStir
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 17 Jun 2010, 13:40
- Contact:
Re: Ariano di Puglia (Puglio?)
Thank You so very much for doing all of that hunting!
I had found a lot of the United States information from Ancestry.com prior to my post. I was looking for information from Italy now. Here is what I have:
1920 census ( like you had)
New York Passenger lists for: 1820-1957 (3 of them)
US city directories from Mount Vernon with occupation details.
I know that Nicola originally arrived in 1883 at the age of 17 and went to stay with his brother Luigi
He returned in 11903, naturalized in 1903, returned again in 1907 with his family. Died in 1934.
Married Camilla/Carmela in Italy. she arrived here in 1909 at the age of 39 and had a daughter Rosaria D'Alessio from a previous relationship. That is all I could find out about her.
I was hoping to find out their Italian information.
Thanks again I really appreciate your digging as I ran out of ideas and time to dedicate on this search.
I had found a lot of the United States information from Ancestry.com prior to my post. I was looking for information from Italy now. Here is what I have:
1920 census ( like you had)
New York Passenger lists for: 1820-1957 (3 of them)
US city directories from Mount Vernon with occupation details.
I know that Nicola originally arrived in 1883 at the age of 17 and went to stay with his brother Luigi
He returned in 11903, naturalized in 1903, returned again in 1907 with his family. Died in 1934.
Married Camilla/Carmela in Italy. she arrived here in 1909 at the age of 39 and had a daughter Rosaria D'Alessio from a previous relationship. That is all I could find out about her.
I was hoping to find out their Italian information.
Thanks again I really appreciate your digging as I ran out of ideas and time to dedicate on this search.

